The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Repercussions? I'm not sure anything's changed since the 80s. The council still seems to be a counter-active rather than proactive.

Surely the council can only do what they can with the money available.

I don't see what "The Council" can do to change demographics, attract the finance sector or get the IRA to re-develop their city centre.

Repercussions? I'm not sure anything's changed since the 80s. The council still seems to be a counter-active rather than proactive.
The make up of the council is one of the repercussions of the brainwashing from the 80s. Sheffielders have been taught to hate Tories and dis-trust anyone but Labour. The brief balls up of the Liberal SCC must have been manna from heaven at Sheffield Labour HQ.

So now we have an untouchable Labour council that is apathetic and as you said counter-active.

The make up of the council is one of the repercussions of the brainwashing from the 80s. Sheffielders have been taught to hate Tories and dis-trust anyone but Labour. The brief balls up of the Liberal SCC must have been manna from heaven at Sheffield Labour HQ.

So now we have an untouchable Labour council that is apathetic and as you said counter-active.

libs didnt ball up they were kicked out of power on national issues which i can never understand

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 20:23 ----------

also where i live libs did more in the time they were in power cutting grass etc and making the area pleasent soon as labour got back in power the area became a mess again says it all .

The make up of the council is one of the repercussions of the brainwashing from the 80s.

Labour has only lost control of the council about 4 times since the twenties. The longest periods of non-Labour rule have in fact been since the "brainwashing" in the eighties.

Try again.

[/color]also where i live libs did more in the time they were in power cutting grass etc and making the area pleasent soon as labour got back in power the area became a mess again says it all .

Have you considered that these cuts in services are a direct result of the swinging budget cuts imposed on local authorities by the Lib/Con coalition government?

No you're quite right. Lets preserve the place like its the 1960's, lets not aspire to be better or want nice things. No, far better to dig our heads in the sand and just exist in black and white glory years

They could get hints from somewhere like Goldthorpe on how to really fail to progress and to deter all inward investment.

Being better and wanting nicer things doesn't mean you have to compete with others
But we are competing with others. As much as you might not want to admit it we don't live in a sandbox. If you want to be better and have nice things then you need to persuade people to bring money and investment and jobs to the area and to do that it means you have to persuade them not to take them somewhere else. Its a vicious circle to get nice things you need nice things to persuade other people you can be trusted with nice things

Labour has been the largest party on Leeds council since 1980, towards the end of the last Labour government they lost overall control but remained the biggest party. You can argue if you like that Sheffield's council is less competent than Leeds but that's not because Sheffielders vote Labour blindly they don't Sheffield council has actually changed hands recently, the issue is that the people of Sheffield vote on national issues instead of local ones. The Lib Dems gained power in Sheffield as a protest against Labour nationally and once the Lib Dems got in power nationally we're back to Labour in Sheffield. The political parties don't have to stand actual competent humans because they'll never be held accountable for their actions locally, instead they want us "Send a message to Westminster" I'd rather they were listening at city hall.

Labour has only lost control of the council about 4 times since the twenties. The longest periods of non-Labour rule have in fact been since the "brainwashing" in the eighties.

Try again.

You don't think that Labour in Sheffield do any brainwashing?

Or are you trying to win a petty argument as per usual....