The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

I'm sure we've been here before. Another six months to (fail to) find a partner to build it, another ten years of dithering and saying the time isn't right, then a quiet announcement somewhere in the classified ads that actually it's not going to happen at all.

Did they say whether this was as well as Sevenstones or whether it was a new scheme to tide us over until the next one can be announced?

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 16:03 ----------

If no one will put the money forward, then nothing will be built. That's a simple fact of life.

Very true.

Cor! Spending £480million to become the 32nd best shopping centre- staggering.

The bit that upset me is that the new city shopping centre will be vehicle free, including busses. How on earth will disabled people access the area in the late afternoon and evening after Shopmobility Sheffield has closed. I doubt that I will ever be able to visit the theatre again.

I'm not sure what you're objecting too.

Is it too much money, or do you expect half a billion to make us number 20 or 5 or something? Or you'd just prefer no investment at all?

Is it too much money, or do you expect half a billion to make us number 20 or 5 or something? Or you'd just prefer no investment at all?

Really?

I think we should just let the city centre die on its feet.

No use in throwing good money after bad, following the colossal wastes of public money that were the digital region failure, and our little airstrip that was given away to a private company for nowt.

(yet if you're late in paying your council tax, they don't like it)

"The council is in talks with potential strategic development partners and hopes to announce a partner this autumn."

Here we go again :hihi::hihi:

Hope its not Tombstone they are in talks with.

Estimated completion date April 1st 2085

Tombstone was the project, this is its replacement.

Potential strategic development partners is council-speak for builders.

I'm not sure what you're objecting too.

I feel that the Uk's fifth largest city should be at least in the top ten of shopping centres.

Also the fact that a half billion pound spend will probably stop myself and my peers visiting the theatre is more than annoying.