The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Do we really need another glossy retail development the same as every other city?

I'd much rather see a collection of quirky independent shops, with character and individuality, that give Sheffield designers and entrepreneurs a chance to showcase what they can do.

Another? We don't have one.

But actually yes, i'd like one. I'd also like some interesting indie stores. I'd like both. It doesn't have to be an and/or situation, look at York they've managed to blend the two beautifully

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 13:52 ----------

Sheffield city centre is just too big and sprawled out.

Tight gits like me have to walk from Jack Fulton's on the Moor, to Poundland, then pop next door to Iceland (the shop, not the country. . .) then walk uphill to Superdrug to see if they have any bargains on offer, and then. . . and then. . . and then. . . I have a ten to fifteen minute walk to get to Castle Square to visit Argos, the other Poundland, the 99p store, Wilkinsons and any other frozen food / discount shops, then make my way back to work.

It's almost impossible to do this in my one-hour lunch break !!!

The city council should put all my favourite shops next to each other, to make it easier for me and to encourage healthier competition in rip-off Britain.

That would be tremendous. If everyone could get everything they wanted just the way they want it.

(I realise this post isn't to be taken entirely seriously but if you really think Sheffield has a big city centre thank your lucky stars you don't live in Newcastle or Manchester or somewhere that has a city centre that dwarfs ours)

Take a look at the architect’s web page, HSBC who have their headquarters at West Bar feature prominently in their design.

http://leonarddesignarchitects.com/projects/sheffield-new-retail-quarter/

Are you sure about HSBC?

"HSBC to move head office for UK division to Birmingham"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/23675ff8-d232-11e4-ae91-00144feab7de.html#axzz3VqML2OX4

I feel that the Uk's fifth largest city should be at least in the top ten of shopping centres.

Also the fact that a half billion pound spend will probably stop myself and my peers visiting the theatre is more than annoying.

Well it isn't in the top ten at the moment. This development will improve it's ranking, so what exactly is your objection?

I've no idea how this can "stop" you visiting a cinema that currently doesn't exist, or how it will affect your access to the existing ones... 2 of which are outside the city centre, and the other two of which aren't in the area to be developed (from what I understood).

Well it isn't in the top ten at the moment. This development will improve it's ranking, so what exactly is your objection?

I've no idea how this can "stop" you visiting a cinema that currently doesn't exist, or how it will affect your access to the existing ones... 2 of which are outside the city centre, and the other two of which aren't in the area to be developed (from what I understood).

I think "IRONMONGER" said theatre not cinema...but I still don't see how it'd stop him going to either..

Sheffield city centre is just too big and sprawled out.

Tight gits like me have to walk from Jack Fulton's on the Moor, to Poundland, then pop next door to Iceland (the shop, not the country. . .) then walk uphill to Superdrug to see if they have any bargains on offer, and then. . . and then. . . and then. . . I have a ten to fifteen minute walk to get to Castle Square to visit Argos, the other Poundland, the 99p store, Wilkinsons and any other frozen food / discount shops, then make my way back to work.

It's almost impossible to do this in my one-hour lunch break !!!

The city council should put all my favourite shops next to each other, to make it easier for me and to encourage healthier competition in rip-off Britain.

I think you are very fortunate that you can buy frozen food in your lunch break then presumably store it at work where it won't defrost. I doubt many other people are so lucky.

But you are right if they moved argos to the moor there would be little need for any shops to exist after fargate. Division and devonshire streets have little worthwhile to offer either.

Perhaps the area between the high street and wicker arches should be modernised into a giant car-park generating 1000s in income for the councillors to mis-use and where they could hold car boot sales on sundays. Tear down the old courthouse just so we can spend money building a new and bigger one somewhere else and perhaps to cut down on the inconvenience suffered by local family members having to travel we could build a prison for sheffield people to use once, and whilst waiting to be, convicted, so we can deter crime and pander the families simultaneously.

Perhaps the area between the high street and wicker arches should be modernised into a giant car-park generating 1000s in income for the councillors to mis-use and where they could hold car boot sales on sundays. Tear down the old courthouse just so we can spend money building a new and bigger one somewhere else and perhaps to cut down on the inconvenience suffered by local family members having to travel we could build a prison for sheffield people to use once, and whilst waiting to be, convicted, so we can deter crime and pander the families simultaneously.

Are you alright?

I think you are very fortunate that you can buy frozen food in your lunch break then presumably store it at work where it won't defrost. I doubt many other people are so lucky.

I never said I bought frozen food. . . I simply go there for the buy-one-get-three-free offers on soon-to-expire food products :hihi:

Manchester and Leeds city centres always seem busy despite the presence of the Trafford Centre and White Rose centre respectively.

They are busy quite right - but then the reasons are obvious - take the most cursory look at those beautiful city centres and the reasons are clear.

Sheffield City Council have always been ludicrously inept in their planning dept apparently unable to bring themselves to making swathing changes they have historically resorted to piecemeal chops and changes.

This along with their ridiculously high business rates brought about the inevitable decline.