The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Do businesses in Manchester City Centre actually use the onstreet parking? I would have thought they would use the off street parking it's considerably cheaper in Sheffield to park off street in certain private car parks than on street especially if you are staying for the day, the larger employers in Sheffield have deals with private car parks to get discounts.

The maximum hourly charge in Sheffield Council car parks is £1/hour. Maximum daily rate is £5 and in some, it can be as little as £2 per day.

For the last 25 years business rates have been set by Central Government.

Quite.

As I implied - the councils record for ridiculously high business rates did grievous damage especially to small businesses in this city years ago - from which it has never recovered.

Their appalling heavy-handedness in these matters is equalled only by their imperious high handedness - not, I may add too dissimilar to your own and Whiteowls. :)

Edited by Slikkwiver
addition

Quite.

As I implied - the councils record for ridiculously high business rates did grievous damage especially to small businesses in this city years ago - from which it has never recovered.

Really?

That must say something about a lack of entrepreneurs in Sheffield rather than the council - I mean, 25 years without any disadvantages.............

Planners can only make judgement on the applications made to them. And even then they are often tied by national and local planning guidance set by politicians and the economic/political environment of the time.

I suppose we're conveniently covering our eyes every time we go past the swatches of retail and leisure/entertainment space under construction and/or approved for construction along the Moor?

More planner-bashing.

Forgive me - I over-looked your two cents worth of flailing arms and huff-huffing - maybe because it fails to relate to my post in any way at all.

I reiterate. The historic piecemeal chops and changes that this City Council has made to this City have turned it into an incongruous mish mash of mediocrity .

The hideous Grosvenor building for inst - took the site of some beautiful old yet still viable buildings - how about the Grand Hotel Leopold Street - and West Street - Pond Street - The Moor - Charter Row - Arundle Gate need I continue? :)

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 01:01 ----------

Really?

That must say something about a lack of entrepreneurs in Sheffield rather than the council - I mean, 25 years without any disadvantages.............

What on earth are you saying?? You're starting to sound desperate as well as incoherent. :)

Forgive me - I over-looked your two cents worth of flailing arms and huff-huffing - maybe because it fails to relate to my post in any way at all.

I reiterate. The historic piecemeal chops and changes that this City Council has made to this City have turned it into an incongruous mish mash of mediocrity .

The hideous Grosvenor building for inst - took the site of some beautiful old yet still viable buildings - how about the Grand Hotel Leopold Street - and West Street - Pond Street - The Moor - Charter Row - Arundle Gate need I continue?

They should have never knocked down Sheffield Castle.

I blame the council :cool:

What on earth are you saying?? You're starting to sound desperate as well as incoherent. :)

Simple - Sheffield business rates have been set to the same government formula as everywhere else in the country for the last 25 years - therefore Sheffield business has had no disadvantage in terms of business rates since 1990.

Edited by Longcol

Do businesses in Manchester City Centre actually use the onstreet parking? I would have thought they would use the off street parking it's considerably cheaper in Sheffield to park off street in certain private car parks than on street especially if you are staying for the day, the larger employers in Sheffield have deals with private car parks to get discounts.

The employees will generally use public transport if they have any sense at all, and the senior executives will likely have spaces in an underground car park. But many of those who do business with the companies - florists, alarm fitters, air-conditioning engineers, carpet fitters, office furniture suppliers, stationery deliveries etc. will probably need to use the nearby on-street parking.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 09:48 ----------

And that may well be why their parking prices are 50% higher than ours.

Or to look at it another way, that's only £1 more than our charges. For the difference in economic activity between Sheffield and these other cities, and the increased opportunities for jobs, customers etc. that might be quite a small price to pay.

Remember kids, 2 pence is 100% more than 1 pence, but in absolute terms the difference is tiny. Planner1 is a master of rhetoric!

Simple - Sheffield business rates have been set to the same government formula as everywhere else in the country for the last 25 years - therefore Sheffield business has had no disadvantage in terms of business rates since 1990.

As I said 25 years is nothing in terms of establishing a business.

I personally knew a few businesses that dipped or relocated to a kinder city due to the high business rates in Sheffield.

Why deny it - Sheff City Council destroyed the City with their ridiculous fiscal policies and ham-fisted developement.

Did they really think that tarting up the Peace Gardens and Midland Station would so impress us that we might turn a blind eye to the rest of the abominations that they scattered around town willy nilly?

The biggest joke of all was to successfully get English Heritage to 'list' Park Hill Flats. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Unbelievable.

Granted - Park Hill was very successful in its original intent - a thinly disguised concentration camp packing the maximum amount of people into as small an area as possible.

It is no less than a monument to misery - perhaps those who spent so much time seeking its preservation should have firstly spent a few years living within those desolate embattled corridors.

They can butter up its famous architect all they like (I deliberately leave his name unwritten) for admittedly it functioned as per brief - even if heating/lighting bills for the tenants were extremely high due to non-existant or at best, ineffective insulation.

It should have been given the same fate as its cousin across town - The Kelvin Flats. God - just typing the name makes me shudder - it was yet another graveyard to the aspirations of thousands - a wasteland of human endeavour thrust onto the people who literally financed through their tax pounds the wreckless and deplorable 'rebuilding' of a City that frankly deserved better - much better.

So pass your cans between yourselves - councils - planners - central government - the fact remains that the city has been allowed if not encouragaged to fester in a cesspit of bureaucratic indifference - starved into submission by a scandalous spending policy biased towards the 'better' parts of the city.

Edited by Slikkwiver

As I said 25 years is nothing in terms of establishing a business.

I personally knew a few businesses that dipped or relocated to a kinder city due to the high business rates in Sheffield.

Why deny it - Sheff City Council destroyed the City with their ridiculous fiscal policies and ham-fisted developement.

You voted for them...