The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

I just think that these two stores would raise the profile of our city, but not sure they would work in Sheffield.

What does "raise the profile" even mean? It's not like Sheffield needs to be more widely talked about in Birmingham, or Manchester or Leeds. It won't cause people to travel to shop.

So the people who might shop already know about the city because they live with 10 or 15 miles.

IMO it's unlikely that two vacuous department stores would suddenly cause people to return to the city centre to shop.

I agree with Philyyy that we are still way behind the likes of Leeds and Manchester.

I wonder whether the likes of Selfridges or Harvey Nichols will ever consider Sheffield for one of their stores. I think this would help raise the profile of the city.

House! Bingo! Someone said Harvey Nichols!

I don't think we are behind Leeds and Manchester, I think we are just different. Even if the economy was strong enough to support three comparable cities so close together, Sheffield and its people have a different character. We're less bothered about shopping and high end bars and more interested in getting out in the countryside. It's easy enough to move to or commute to Leeds or Manchester, not everywhere has to be the same.

How can it be a ghost town if it's full of students?

The city centre does almost entirely shut down from 1800, except on Friday and Sat.

I don't know how this compares to other cities though as I don't go to visit them on weekday evenings.

Too many chain stores and corporate outlets all selling much the same stuff. They're the only ones who can afford the high rents and business rates.

Small independent shops and Artisan places are still popular and provide a real, interesting shopping experience. Division street, Ecclesall Road, etc are buzzing. I'd like to see much more of this in the city centre, so maybe the council could cut them a deal and encourage it.

I agree. We make an effort to drive to artisan food suppliers to get really nice food. It is more expensive but more than worth it.

I used to shop regularly in Sheffield until it had a big change in road routes and parking in the early 90s. If you have to drive into Sheffield, which I do, I don't want to spend ages driving round trying to find somewhere to park then end up the opposite end of town if you are carrying something heavy.

I decided to go back in to do some Christmas shopping back in 1995 and I hated it. I now only go in if I want to visit a particular store.

Rotherham did the same thing and killed town back in 1983. Rotherham town centre has really changed recently. There are a lot more independent shops like there were back in the 70s when I was a child.

Do any of you actually go into the city centre? I was there yesterday for a few hours. Came out of ponds forge walked up fargate and into the peace gardens and was there a good hour or so. It was very pleasant and not anything like a ghost town. Every city will have its areas that were once bustling and now dead its just when you visit another city you don't see those areas. Every time I have been to town lately its been bustling, last time was the continental markets. The moor is looking better ever day, and there is now a reasonable run right from ponds forge to the bottom of the moor. I see a variety of shops, including some big names. So what if Waingate is looking a bit rough. Hardly anyone goes down there.

There's loads of parking now, NCPs, council surface car parks, on street, and several department stores have their own.

It's never going to be as cheap to park as at meadowhell though.

---------- Post added 10-06-2016 at 08:41 ----------

Do any of you actually go into the city centre? I was there yesterday for a few hours. Came out of ponds forge walked up fargate and into the peace gardens and was there a good hour or so. It was very pleasant and not anything like a ghost town. Every city will have its areas that were once bustling and now dead its just when you visit another city you don't see those areas. Every time I have been to town lately its been bustling, last time was the continental markets. The moor is looking better ever day, and there is now a reasonable run right from ponds forge to the bottom of the moor. I see a variety of shops, including some big names. So what if Waingate is looking a bit rough. Hardly anyone goes down there.

I walked around the city centre at lunchtime, we probably passed each other.

It's moderately busy at lunch, but hang around until 1800 and then watch the tumbleweed!

I didn't actually go in any shops except Waterstones though, short of walking up Division street they're all very main stream, standard high street shops, all selling the same things, and I don't need to buy a mobile phone or any clothing right now.

The city centre does almost entirely shut down from 1800, except on Friday and Sat.

I don't know how this compares to other cities though as I don't go to visit them on weekday evenings.

Liverpool and Manchester, most stores stay open until 8pm weekdays.

Last time I was in Sheffield, shops were hoovering and closing up around 4.30.

one thing the city gets right is the various food festivals markets, events etc. I was down town over the bank holiday weekend and it was rammed during the day. On the other hand I had friends who went down just before 5pm to see what all the fuss was about (and spend some money) but everything was shutting up apart from the beer tents.