CCTV suggestion

Not if it is unintentional ie my camera looks down my drive and catches the across road neighbours front door.

A couple of years ago he complained to the police saying I may be watching his comings and goings.

The police came out and after viewing the cctv monitor told him I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Domestic cameras don't come under the DPA = http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/security-cameras-and-the-law.html

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 00:58 ----------

This link written by a barrister states that domestic properties don't come under the DPA and signs are only required when they fall under the DPA= http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/security-cameras-and-the-law.html

Agreed as well. Lots of people have the opinion that home CCTV has to follow strict rules or it cant be used as evidence. I think if the truth were more widely known more people would have the confidence to install it and protect their properties. It would be nice if the council or gov made some educational leaflets or a webpage designed to educated the general public and dispel some of these myths.

This is a most interesting topic. I was under the impression you were not allowed to have the camera recording outside of your property i.e. videoing people walking on the pavement or the road.

We had footage of our car being broken into but the police said it was of no concern to them. They do not come out any more to such incidents.

I don't understand the "anti" cctv some people seem to have. If a person installs cctv which covers both their property's (ok within reason that's what you need to agree on) then its mutually beneficial, after all the camera cannot see anything that cannot be seen just by looking.

If its about "spying" then there are a lot of covert cameras around now which you would not know were there, a large obvious sticking out camera shows you are not hiding your intentions (many are fake anyway)

One problem is its very difficult to look at your own property with a camera mounted on your property. It would be better to mount the camera on your neighbors building looking at yours which understandably they would not like. Any camera mounted on your building will have to look past your property and catch some of others in the background.

It really could do with a neighborhood watch scheme where all the neighbors benefiting chip in and share access to the footage accepting they can see one another on the recordings. Even with the option of switching of cameras when say in the garden sunbathing as being there negates the need for the camera running.

I have a camera that looks onto the shared access path with my neighbor, before this we used to get scumbags regular in both our gardens helping themselves to our goods. Since this camera neither of us has been robbed (touchwood), she (the neighbor) thinks its great. We see dodgy guys walking down the path looking around sheepishly then you see them clock the camera and whiz around and walk off, it definitely works and has paid for itself several times over but more important the women feel much more comfortable in their own homes.

In an ideal society we would not need such intrusive measures as all thieving scum bags would be in prison or working as fear of punishment would make them not want to steal, vandalize or terrorize. Unfortunately the option now is to live with the crime and the psychological impact of seeing a stranger standing before you in your own home and pay large insurance premiums or accept being on candid camera.

Most of the conversation about cctv has been about preventing (or catching) minor criminals and the consideration that the intrusion is not worth it. You do have to consider the more serious crimes that destroys families and peoples lives however unlikely but regularly in the news somewhere in the country.

Its really important to speak to your neighbors about using cameras whether its issue with theirs or if they mind yours, you need to have some trust between yourselves if you don't want to be at the mercy of scumbags.

I suppose there are those who are for cctv and those against it - until something happens to them and they want the footage.

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

We are looking at installing some CCTV to keep a record of when our lovely neighbour breaks into our garden. We only need one or two cameras and of course something to record. Can anyone recommend a company who will install it for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Hi did you find cheap quoteS I'm wanting same as what you requested thanks terri