Freedom Of Speech.

There is no expectation of free speech on a private forum though, and the rules quite clearly tell you that swearing is not allowed since this is 'family friendly'.

Unfortunately the name for a male hen, is also slang for the penis, the 'algorithms' being simple word matches can't tell anything about context and so you have to call it a rooster and not a c0ckerel or it's abreviation.

Nb - for any mods reading, that is NOT masked swearing.

That was really my point. Algorithms do not appear able to understand context. People (usually) can, but it would be prohibitively expensive to employ people to check all posts between the person pressing the “post” button and the post appearing for all to see on the thread.

So we rely on algorithms, and in doing so we lose the ability to use some words in a neutral manner because in some other circumstances they are offensive.

Some algorithms can make a stab at understanding context, see conversational mode coming on google home, but to expect a swearing filter based on free software to do so, you're asking a bit much, at least this decade.

Anyway, there is no suggestion of free speech on this forum, never has been.

Some algorithms can make a stab at understanding context, see conversational mode coming on google home, but to expect a swearing filter based on free software to do so, you're asking a bit much, at least this decade.

Anyway, there is no suggestion of free speech on this forum, never has been.

I’m not expecting it. Neither am I calling for a greater level of free speech. All I’ve done is to try and highlight a limitation of the current set up in that it becomes imossible to use potentially offensive words in a neutral, non-offensive way. And because of this it is not even possible to communicate accurately in some circumstances, and it is not even possible to discuss how and when (or even if) a word is offensive once the algorithm has been programmed to treat it as offensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been told to take my England flag down today, it was being displayed in my works minibus.

We only have freedom to do what we want, as long as people dont complane. My leader is asking the powers above him if its ok, he is a jobsworth, of course its ok.

I fall in semi autistic spectrum and hope my points are not seen as content disturbing. If so I will hope guidance from my pears.

Troll spectrum is probably a better description.

---------- Post added 21-06-2018 at 21:08 ----------

I have been told to take my England flag down today, it was being displayed in my works minibus.

We only have freedom to do what we want, as long as people dont complane. My leader is asking the powers above him if its ok, he is a jobsworth, of course its ok.

Did you ask your employer whether it was OK to do so before you put it up?

Edited by Halibut