Archive Sheffield bus route number 88

Does anyone have an old Sheffield bus timetable from the late 1980's or earlier? I am wanting information on the former South Yorkshire Transport service 88 route that ran from Fulwood (Brooklands Avenue) to Stannington (Roscoe Bank), a route that was discontinued maybe as late as the early 90's but I am not sure exactly when.

Any information on the exact route it took would be useful to know. I am sure the terminus at one end was ROscoe Bank in Stannington but some sources I found state it was Malin Bridge. Other sources state the number 84 ran to Roscoe Bank at one end as a replacement to the 88 route when it was axed, but I have been unable to confirm any of this. I do believe the 88 served a school that was closed in the mid 1990's, and demolished a few years later, which was situated on long Lane. The route was via town I think as I did catch it once from Fulwood in the early 80's, but I don't think it duplicated the old 60 route into town via Broomhill (now 120 service) as the old 60 service used to terminate at the train station I believe. The 88 may have gone via Hangingwater and Eccy Rd to town and then followed a route to Malin Bridge and Stannington, but I would love to know the precise route.

Edited by goldenfleece

at one time there was no 84, there was only an 88 service which as you quite rightly state terminated at Roscoe Bank, and the magnificent no7, which went to the top of Stannington

(I think there was also a service that went to Bradfield via Stannington, 61 rings a bell (!!!!) )

I don't remember any school on Long Lane, do you mean the Stannington Long Lane?

I used to deliver milk round there during the 80's

the other end of the 88 route was a mystery to me - I never had (and still don't to this day) have any reason to go to Fulwood

just as an added note, the no7 terminus in town was Campo Lane, opposite the Golden Ball, saw some right sights spilling out of there at kicking out time

yes Stannington Long Lane, about 50 yards up from the bottom, it was on the left, think it was called Roscoe Bank School actually, closed early to mid 90's.....on ROscoe bank, a narrow rd, where would the terminus have been? I wonder if any trace of a turning circle or road markings still show where it was.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 20:27 ----------

although there is trace of something that may have been a terminus or bus area...the pavement changes for a few yards....but this is just guess work

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Roscoe+Bank,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.388422,-1.531434&spn=0.011671,0.030556&sll=51.528642,-0.101599&sspn=0.389589,0.977783&oq=rodcoe+bank&hnear=Roscoe+Bank,+Sheffield+S6,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.388374,-1.531587&panoid=ZOyIiASCS84iUeuEmeeG_Q&cbp=12,44.9,,0,28.62

Edited by goldenfleece

Think the old 88 used to run alongside Endcliffe Park. It finished near to Crimicar Lane. It ran from Roscoe Bank, not sure about route in Stonington though, but it went Holmes Lane, Middlewood Road, Langsett Road, then up Angel Street, and straight through to Moor, then Ecclesall Road, turned off at Endcliffe Park, and up to Fulwood. You'd be best looking for the 80's timetable from that period. 81, 82, 83, 84, 88 were all combined.

Think the old 88 used to run alongside Endcliffe Park. It finished near to Crimicar Lane. It ran from Roscoe Bank, not sure about route in Stonington though, but it went Holmes Lane, Middlewood Road, Langsett Road, then up Angel Street, and straight through to Moor, then Ecclesall Road, turned off at Endcliffe Park, and up to Fulwood. You'd be best looking for the 80's timetable from that period. 81, 82, 83, 84, 88 were all combined.

Cant imagine a bus using the very narrow and bumpy Roscoe Bank road though, it has no turning circle area and a bus would fill it completely and block all other traffic.

Jonny is right, it went along Rustlings Road, past the top end of Endcliffe Park, round the roundabout and down Ecclesall Road

the 88 terminus at Roscoe bank was on Wood Lane outside the school

The route from Snig Hill West Bar Shalesmoor Infirmary Road Langsett Road turn left on Holme Lane to Malin Bridge Stannington road to Stanwood Road to Wood Lane returning on Stanwood Crescent ? to Stannington Road same route back to High Street.

It changed to Angel Street later most likely when it went up to Hall Park Head

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 21:12 ----------

The route to Fulwood was High Street left on Leopold Street Pinstone Street down the Moor/ then back of the Moor up Ecclesall Road to Rustlings Road to Oakbrook Road ?Hangingwater Road to Nethergreen Fulwood Road to brooklands Avenue then Round the block to the terminus outside the shops at Bottom of Crimicar Lane this was in the 60s this was a 10 minute service whereas the 82 Ecclesall-Middlewood was a 4/5 minute service and at peak times there was a 81 which ran from Rustlings Road to Malin Bridge

Edited by phantom309
adding information

From Fulwood the route was via Brookhouse Hill, Fulwood Road, Nether Green Road, Oakbrook Road, Rustlings Road, Hunters Bar and Eccleshall Road to town. At the other end from Malin Bridge it ran via Holme Lane, Stannington Road, Stanwood Road, Deer Park Road, Liberty Hill and Liberty Drive, then returning via Liberty Drive, Liberty Hill, Deer Park Road, and Wood Lane to Stanwood Avenue and return to town.

The 88 became the 84 between Eccleshall and Roscoe Bank and ran to Hall Park Hill. The Fulwood end was taken over by the 33 route from Owlerton.

as I recall the 88 used to have a conductor, which I thought was really weird, I used the no7 mostly & that never had a conductor in my time

Hall Park Head, thought those little chalet type houses were really cool, what with their wooden ramps & 3-tier design