Archive Sheffield bus route number 88

as I recall the No 88 used to have a conductor...
Oh - you're going back a bit now!.:) If anyone's interested, the No 88 first began to run to Malin Bridge in 1954, replacing the trams when the Middlewood.&.Malin Bridge trams finished. The 1954 route from Fulwood was Brooklands Avenue - Brookhouse Hill - Fulwood Road - Nether Green Road - Rustlings Road - Ecclesall Road - The Moor - Union Street - Surrey Street - Fargate - High Street - West Bar - Infirmary Road - Langsett Road - Holme Lane - Malin Bridge (terminus on Loxley New Road outside the Yew Tree Inn). The route was extended to Roscoe Bank when the "new" estate was built in the early 1960s, to supplement the No 7 Stannington which ran form Campo Lane. The 61 mentioned in post #2 was the Low Bradfield bus. Originally it carried No 16 and it terminated at Malin Bridge until 1954 when it was extended to the city centre (Campo Lane). Originally an hourly or half-hourly service, it began to run less frequently in 1970 when the 14 was extended to Loxley. The 14 had terminated at - you guessed it - Campo Lane. And all the buses had conductors..:) Edited by hillsbro

the conductor service must have been phased out in stages then, because we always rode the no7 & I can't ever recall a conductor, but we occasionally caught the 88 when it was dropping at Hall Park Head (I used to live near the Sportsman in Stannington) & I definitely remember it having a conductor

also, wasn't there a 62 service that would serve High Bradfield too! It used to go up Woodfall Lane between Low & High Brad, used to catch it very occasionally to visit my grandparents

I'm only going back to a maximum of 1965 though!

the conductor service must have been phased out in stages then...
Yes, it was done gradually, with "drivers" becoming "driver-operators" and being paid a higher wage.
..also, wasn't there a 62 service that would serve High Bradfield too! It used to go up Woodfall Lane between Low & High Brad, used to catch it very occasionally to visit my grandparents...

That's right - the 62 went up Woodfall Lane, after quite a long break when there was no bus serving High Bradfield - the 116 (Tuesdays & Saturdays only) must have finished in the early 1960s.

now I'm thinking about it I have some recollection of the 88 terminating at the high rise flats on Deer Park Road, before the route was extended to hall park head

we used to call into the shop which used to stand on the corner of Deer Park & Stannington Road for sweets, before walking up the hill to our house - the shop used to be referred to as 'the wooden hut' (possibly only by us)

---------- Post added 18-03-2015 at 12:30 ----------

think Roscoe Bank was a reference to the area rather than a specific road

The hillside was known as 'Roscoe Bank' as well as this being the name of the road. Likewise there was the 'Roscoe Plantation', 'Roscoe Bridge' etc. - here is an old map showing these names. The eastern end of Roscoe Bank (the road) is marked as 'Short Lane' on this map. When the 88 route was extended further up the hill the destination was changed from Roscoe Bank to Hall Park Head (much to the surprise of my father. Despite being born and bred at Woodland View he said he'd never heard of Hall Park Head!)

Edited by hillsbro

Yes, it was done gradually, with "drivers" becoming "driver-operators" and being paid a higher wage.

That's right - the 62 went up Woodfall Lane, after quite a long break when there was no bus serving High Bradfield - the 116 (Tuesdays & Saturdays only) must have finished in the early 1960s.

Hillsboro the high Bradfield service must have finished in the late 60s as I was on STD 63 to 67 and was running then along with the Bus to Dungworth which was either 107 or 117 also it was around 66 that one man operators were introduced and it started with just 12 drivers and around 3 reserve drivers at Townhead Street depot as I was a conductor on the Manchester board which was one of the first to go O.M.O and I went driving and left shortly after this.

Hillsboro the high Bradfield service must have finished in the late 60s...
Perhaps it went in 1970 when a number of services were pruned. In that year the Outer Circle was shortened (it no longer ran between Malin bridge and Crosspool), the Low Bradfield began to run less frequently etc. So perhaps the 116 High Bradfield and 107/117 Dungworth/Load Brook also finished at that time. I do know that the 48 Manchester via Woodhead was still running in 1975 as I have a diary entry of using it to to start a moorland walk at the Dog & Partridge on a rainy day! Edited by hillsbro