Archive Sheffield bus route number 88

From 1987 timetable.

84 Roscoe bank city Ecclesall.

86 Sheffield Stannington- Dungworth.

61 Sheffield low bradfield.

62 Sheffield high bradfield.

Also to add further in regards to the 116 service to High Bradfield this was still running in 1974 when SYPTE was formed and renumbered to 62 in 1975.

Edited by jimmy1975
add for info

..the 116 service to High Bradfield this was still running in 1974 when SYPTE was formed and renumbered to 62 in 1975.
That's interesting, so perhaps the number was changed to 62 when the route changed (going via Low Bradfield instead of direct to High Bradfield).

That's interesting, so perhaps the number was changed to 62 when the route changed (going via Low Bradfield instead of direct to High Bradfield).

It was more to do with SYPTE they renumbered a lot of services in South Yorkshire as Rotherham&Doncaster had same service numbers to sheffield.

So sheffield services started 1-99 rotheham 100 and so on.

62 always ran direct to high bradfield on the same 2 journeys tuesday/saturday only up until around 1988.

Here is a link to old service 16 parked up at the old Bradfield termius.

STD 843

Edited by jimmy1975
add link

Hi jimmi1975 - the photo brings back memories! I was sure the 62 went up Woodfall Lane as ders35 wrote - it's odd how the memory plays tricks!

Here's an extract from a light-hearted article I wrote for the First Mainline staff magazine "Routes", based on an account of the event (apparently with good provenance) that I heard in "The Cross"..:)

The No 16 bus used to terminate at the now long-gone “Cross Inn”, and this involved a tricky three-point turn with little space to spare, especially if the pub regulars’ cars, tractors etc. were in the way. One incident was the talk of the public bar - it involved a bus driver who, one summer evening, came into the pub and not-too-delicately demanded that the owner of a Land Rover parked outside remove it, as it was preventing the bus turning round. The “culprit” turned out to be a local farmer, who curtly told the driver that his Land Rover was not in the way. The bus driver insisted that he couldn't turn the bus round until it was removed, whereupon Farmer Giles replied “If tha can’t turn that bus round in that space, tha dun’t deserve to be drivin’ it”. The driver then replied “If tha thinks tha can turn it round, thee ‘ave a go”. The farmer finished his pint, went outside and turned the bus round at the first attempt. Maybe it was this driver whose idea it was, some time later, to move the terminus away from the pub to Fair House Lane at the other side of the Cricket Pitch. This spoiled the fun.

I do know that the 48 Manchester via Woodhead was still running in 1975 as I have a diary entry of using to to start a moorland walk at the Dog & Partridge on a rainy day!

The X48 service to Manchester was definitely still running in the early-mid 80's because my friend used to use it when coming to visit me in Manchester.

The X48 service to Manchester was definitely still running in the early-mid 80's because my friend used to use it when coming to visit me in Manchester.

Yes it was up until 1986.

---------- Post added 18-03-2015 at 18:30 ----------

Hi jimmi1975 - the photo brings back memories! I was sure the 62 went up Woodfall Lane as ders35 wrote - it's odd how the memory plays tricks!

Here's an extract from a light-hearted article I wrote for the First Mainline staff magazine "Routes", based on an account of the event (apparently with good provenance) that I heard in "The Cross"..:)

The No 16 bus used to terminate at the now long-gone “Cross Inn”, and this involved a tricky three-point turn with little space to spare, especially if the pub regulars’ cars, tractors etc. were in the way. One incident was the talk of the public bar - it involved a bus driver who, one summer evening, came into the pub and not-too-delicately demanded that the owner of a Land Rover parked outside remove it, as it was preventing the bus turning round. The “culprit” turned out to be a local farmer, who curtly told the driver that his Land Rover was not in the way. The bus driver insisted that he couldn't turn the bus round until it was removed, whereupon Farmer Giles replied “If tha can’t turn that bus round in that space, tha dun’t deserve to be drivin’ it”. The driver then replied “If tha thinks tha can turn it round, thee ‘ave a go”. The farmer finished his pint, went outside and turned the bus round at the first attempt. Maybe it was this driver whose idea it was, some time later, to move the terminus away from the pub to Fair House Lane at the other side of the Cricket Pitch. This spoiled the fun.

I think it was early 80s it changed to going straight up from damflask.I do have route change details somewhere in a box so just going on timetable books i have to hand at the mo.

---------- Post added 20-03-2015 at 13:58 ----------

Here is a picture of an 88 at the old termius before it went up the hill to hall park head.

SYPTE 866

I think you guys have pretty well covered the situation and would just add a couple of points. The conversion from trams to buses on the Fulwood to Malin Bridge via Hunters Bar actually took place on 5th January 1952 and was the first of the post-war tramway abandonments, the next section being the Ecclesall to Middlewood route on 27th March 1954.

I recall reading somewhere that on its inception, route 88 on its outward run from town to Fulwood started from Eyre Street and wandered around Boston Street, Cemetery Road and Sharrowvale Road to Hunters Bar to rejoin the old tram route - probably as the Ecclesall to Middlewood trams still catered for Ecclesall Road to town. This changed again in the mid-50's involving Union Street and Moorhead to Ecclesall Road until 1960 when a more direct route via Pinstone Street and the Moor was instigated.

• 4 weeks later...
as I recall the 88 used to have a conductor, which I thought was really weird, I used the no7 mostly & that never had a conductor in my time

Hall Park Head, thought those little chalet type houses were really cool, what with their wooden ramps & 3-tier design

The reason the 88 had a conductor was because it had to reverse to turn round on Libery Hill and at Brookehouse Drive, some other routes also had them for the same reason ie 61 at both ends of its route and the 95 at Tinker Lane.