School leaving at 14

When was the school-leaving age raised to 15 yrs from 14 yrs. (mid 1950's ?) in

Sheffield secondary schools. Anyone personally affected, disappointed, inconvenienced etc ?

Edited by stpetre
edit

April 1947 according to this Wikipedia article:

"In 1944, Rab Butler introduced the Education Act 1944 which amongst other changes ... included raising the school leaving age to 15. Although the act should have been brought into effect as from September 1939, it was not implemented because of the effects of World War II, but was eventually enforced from April 1947."

I was born in August 1955 and left Hinde House School at age 14 (I left in the July prior to my 15th Birthday). Didn't enjoy school, wagged it loads, didn't think I had learned much, but went on to have a great and well paid job in Clinical Research, I was generally the only person on the books who didn't have a degree! Must have been my natural talent lol!!!

I was born in August 1955 and left Hinde House School at age 14 (I left in the July prior to my 15th Birthday). Didn't enjoy school, wagged it loads, didn't think I had learned much, but went on to have a great and well paid job in Clinical Research, I was generally the only person on the books who didn't have a degree! Must have been my natural talent lol!!!

It used to be that if you're school-leaving age fell after the summer break up, say late July or August, you were allowed to leave. As you left in July 1969 at 14, hadn't the leaving age been raised to 16 by then?

It used to be that if you're school-leaving age fell after the summer break up, say late July or August, you were allowed to leave. As you left in July 1969 at 14, hadn't the leaving age been raised to 16 by then?

I think it had, so I was diddled out of at least a year of schooling - I think I should sue!

I left school on the 9th of April 1952, my birthday was 10th of January 1937 but as we returned to school on the 9th of January I had to carry on until the Easter break, I remember that my mother went to see the headmaster but their was no way the rule could be broken. In later life I met up with a couple of old class mates and when I related this fact to them they howled with laughter.