2015 Budget by Osborne

2.6% is still into the millions...

Do you want to rethink that bit....? There's 31 million people in work ...how does 2.6% of that equal "millions?

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 19:35 ----------

Anyone who works even 1 hour a week will be classed as employed, as will all those people on 0 hours who may not work even that. Then there are all the older people who have had to carry on working over 60 (women) and 65 (men) who until very recently would have had to retire.

Also, at the other end of the scale all those kids who would have left school at 16, now have to continue to 18 so won't show up in the unemployment figures.

All smoke and mirrors...

If there are more would be pensioners working and there are still record numbers in a job then all that means is that there are more jobs that have been created.. but I forgot..everything is bad news to you...

Edited by truman

There are at least 50 million people of working age in the UK, what are the other 10+ million doing?

Actually it's less than 38 million and about 3.7 million of those are in further and higher education. So in reality 35 million of about 65 million people make up the workforce.

If there are more would be pensioners working and there are still record numbers in a job then all that means is that there are more jobs that have been created.. but I forgot..everything is bad news to you...

No it doesn't

Do you want to rethink that bit....? There's 31 million people in work ...how does 2.6% of that equal "millions?

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 19:35 ----------

They said 1.8 million zero hours contracts on qt last night..

Very good question to which I do not know the answer, if anyone does I would love to find out.

The answer is that there are only about 35 million in the work force not in retirement or education. 31 million of those are in employment. 5.1 million claim working age benefits. 1.8 million unemployed so only about 3 million to account for. So there are 2.5 million ESA/incapacity claimants and 0.5 million lone parents.

The answer is that there are only about 35 million in the work force not in retirement or education. 31 million of those are in employment. 5.1 million claim working age benefits. 1.8 million unemployed so only about 3 million to account for. So there are 2.5 million ESA/incapacity claimants and 0.5 million lone parents.

Does job sharing count? How about ZHC, benefits suspension etc which all help ease the unemployment figure? To claim that more jobs have been created, as alluded to in post #81, is nonsensical.

Does job sharing count? How about ZHC, benefits suspension etc which all help ease the unemployment figure? To claim that more jobs have been created, as alluded to in post #81, is nonsensical.

I don't know how they calculate the stats, perhaps you'd like to tell us. I'm just saying there really aren't anywhere near 50 million in the workforce and have provided real numbers from the ONS.

Equally I can tell you that if 2.6 % are on zero hours that's about 8-900,000. There are apparently a significant number in part time work 7.9 million with 1.46 million reporting under employment (which will include zhc). However as reported on question time, 95% of the jobs created have been full time jobs. So the majority of part time jobs are in fact historically part time from Labour years but now people want to work more presumably because of the squeeze in household income.

I'm not sure how sanctions work but according to the ons if people are actively looking for work they won't be removed from the figures.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-employment-statistics

I don't know how they calculate the stats, perhaps you'd like to tell us. I'm just saying there really aren't anywhere near 50 million in the workforce and have provided real numbers from the ONS.

Equally I can tell you that if 2.6 % are on zero hours that's about 8-900,000. There are apparently a significant number in part time work 7.9 million with 1.46 million reporting under employment (which will include zhc). However as reported on question time, 95% of the jobs created have been full time jobs. So the majority of part time jobs are in fact historically part time from Labour years but now people want to work more presumably because of the squeeze in household income.

I'm not sure how sanctions work but according to the ons if people are actively looking for work they won't be removed from the figures.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-employment-statistics

it's alright, I wasn't having a go at you, you didn't say it.