Art is it in the eye of the beholder

Visitors to a top art gallery in Arnhem Holland have been fooled by an Ikea print.

The print was put on display among the great masters at the Gallery .

The painting in Question drew in some so called experts who made comments on its merits.

Art is in the eye of?????????????????.

• 1 month later...

Of course it is. What else could it be but something in the eye of the beholder? It may mean more when a lot of people agree that some particular thing is art but you'd have to convince me first before I'd believe it.

Edited by woolyhead

Visitors to a top art gallery in Arnhem Holland have been fooled by an Ikea print.

The painting in Question drew in some so called experts who made comments on its merits.

This is my idea of art. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drew+struzan&biw=1341&bih=584&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7C9FVZTRMMS5Ue3-gZAJ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Art is the creation of an artist.

An artist is one who creates art.

Therefore, my painting a piece of Masonite white and then drawing a red circle on it is not ART.

If it had been created by an acknowledged artist, it would be ART.

I found the video clip at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3002712/Pranksters-cheap-IKEA-print-art-gallery-ask-experts-value-saying-worth-nearly-2million.html

There was a TV piece in which it was stated that the works selling under the name of a US "artist" were in fact produced by art students, with no supervision. A work was submitted to a critic, who enthused on its artistic value. The student who painted it was traced, and told to erase the "artist's" signature and replace with his own. Some weeks later, the same critic was asked to review the work, and pronounced it dull and valueless. Then he was told that it was the painting which he had enthused over, and shown the video in which he had praised it.

"But that's not signed by (XXXXXX)!"

"No, we got the actual painter to sign it"

"Do you realise you have destroyed $5,000 dollars worth of value?"

(Apology -- I've forgotten the actual value, but $5K may be close enough)

Edited by jfish1936

Art's pretty much like music if you ask me. It's even got your classical, punk, easy listening, prog-rock, boy bands ... stuff like that. It's all down to personal taste (some people's tastes are better than others though). :)

I only have to walk through the Tate Modern (and wet myself at the cheek of some "artists") to wonder what art is.

Maybe I'm a Philistine.

Imagine how boring life would be if we all had the same tastes!

Some people will also say they like something when in fact they don't.

Some people will also say they like something when in fact they don't.

That would include most people who look at the Mona Lisa and declare that mardy looking tart to be a master piece .

It's blooody awful .