Blades next season

Runningman

How does this theory explain Blades having beaten pretty much all the top 6 in league 1 this season?

The current slump could be a blip or the start of a trend. Only time will tell. But in desparation there are some wild ideas getting spun, imo.

Last paragraph, raise game when the opposition is considered a challenge.

We struggle against teams we are expected to beat Fleetwood etc, we go to Bristol top of the league, raise our game accordingly and win it.

Also there's maybe an element of smaller clubs raising their game against us and working their tripes out to get the scalp.

None of this is in anyway unusual and other teams have the same problems and deal with it.

We need to get our act together whilst we're still in with a chance.

Let's hope it was a blip. UTB

I see the Blades as a good counter attacking team who lack height and a bit of leadership.

At times when the opposition take the game to us we look like a very good team ( too good for the 3rd division) but on other occasions when the opposition sit back but allow us no time on the ball we look awful and far too easy to play against.

I think the team that Clough has assembled would probably hold its own in the Championship given the signing of a commanding centre half to play alongside a fit Kennady ; alas i don't see this team ever battling their way to promotion.

A good thread by the way....football fans discussing football on the football section....how novel !

I see the Blades as a good counter attacking team who lack height and a bit of leadership.

At times when the opposition take the game to us we look like a very good team ( too good for the 3rd division) but on other occasions when the opposition sit back but allow us no time on the ball we look awful and far too easy to play against.

I think the team that Clough has assembled would probably hold its own in the Championship given the signing of a commanding centre half to play alongside a fit Kennady ; alas i don't see this team ever battling their way to promotion.

A good thread by the way....football fans discussing football on the football section....how novel !

Now you've gone and done it Atticus ... but I'm in full agreement with you.

Last paragraph, raise game when the opposition is considered a challenge.

We struggle against teams we are expected to beat Fleetwood etc, we go to Bristol top of the league, raise our game accordingly and win it.

Also there's maybe an element of smaller clubs raising their game against us and working their tripes out to get the scalp.

We've beaten all the current bottom 4, in one case taking 6 points (Colchester), 2x taking 4 points (Orient and Crawley) and 3 off Yeovil and Crewe with 2nd fixtures still to play.

So, still the argument of other teams raising their game doesn't really hold water over the season. I admit that's what it looks like at the lane lately but it doesn't seem to translate to the whole season.

We've beaten all the current bottom 4, in one case taking 6 points (Colchester), 2x taking 4 points (Orient and Crawley) and 3 off Yeovil and Crewe with 2nd fixtures still to play.

So, still the argument of other teams raising their game doesn't really hold water over the season. I admit that's what it looks like at the lane lately but it doesn't seem to translate to the whole season.

But it won't will it? The only teams that give a fairly consistent display throughout a full season are those like Bristol at the top who are going for automatic promotion and those at the bottom who are going down.

The rest of us, and I'm afraid we're in that category, aren't consistent enough and that's the problem.

My previous points were an attempt to give some of the reasons, another one is that we have no dominant goalscorer.

Done has arrived now and is doing well but we don't frighten teams with our goal threat.

They know - especially at the Lane - that if they sit back, let us play in our own half, and then get in our faces in numbers when we try to play in their half that we will struggle.

We need to score first because otherwise they just continue with the game plan they've come with and try to see it out.

Whilst there is still a chance we can do it this season I'm in no way confident.

As that's the usual attitude taken by long time Blades there's no surprise there. :)

I agree, mostly. We haven't been dominant like Bristol City or Wolves last season. Most of the season we've been pretty much a cert for the playoffs. Now there's been a slump in form and all sorts of theories are getting wheeled out that magnify what might be a blip into "it's been the case all along" when it hasn't. Fact is,we don't know yet if it's a blip or a trend. The pressure's on now tho.

Agreed, there's still time to turn it around and go on a late surge. The team that comes to the end of the season in form is usually the one that comes through the play offs.

Because of our past bugger ups some of our fans tend to start panicking and rumours start flying around, " he's lost the dressing room" "the tea ladies are against him".

This doesn't help matters and can lead to a negative atmosphere especially if we go a goal down at home.

Lets hope for a good result tomorrow and take it from there.

Great thread. It's very important we retain Nigel Clough. It will be several steps back if we look to change the manager at the end of this season.

To be fair NC would have been more thought of if last season we just avoided relegation and not reached FA Cup semi final. To be in the play offs this season would have been viewed as progress. At the moment there are far too many Blades disgruntled about this season's events. But changing the manager will not help.

Clough with his team is establishing more than just the first XI. We will not regret holding our nerve.

In his first full season at Derby his dad finished a very unimpressive 18th in the old second division. The following season they went up as Champions and never looked back.

Edited by abbeyedges
Added word