Curious: What's that purple pipe along the central barrier: M1

As far as I know it's temporary while the road works are carried out. They tend to do the centre first then move to the outside verges. I'd imagine everything is temporarily put in the middle so they can dig the verges without worrying about digging cables up and then put a permanent duct in the verges when all major groundwork complete. And it is purple.

Pete, yeah the link was for the M62 bizarrely, sure I read on the summary it was M1...clearly you are colour blind and I'm dyslexic! I'm pretty sure they are the same thing though. Network/comms cables.

Yep....I'm definitely colour blind.....Sigh

So reading that thread it looks like it's basically a temporary fix for communications cabling, where once upon a time they would lay it along the side of the motorway, but because of various problems, not least of which is cable theft, they now prefer to lay it along the top of the central barrier....

The Purple pipe further north near Wakefield/Leeds certainly carries cables.

It doesn't look amazingly secure to me, bits blew off when it was first installed.

No, I have to agree...there are some 'droopy' sections of it along the way, and gaps in some parts too.

Eeeerm....Does this mean they are modifying that section of the motorway into a 'smart' section? Ie with variable speed limits and a plethora of cameras?....God help us!

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 13:06 ----------

Changed the header..... ;)

It is part of the new "Smart Motorway" program

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/smart-motorways/

The purple pipes contain the cabling and are unlikely to be temporary as they provide the cables for the link to the control centre and the various new electronic features such as overhead variable speed limit signs and speed cameras.

They do look a bit unstable and a bit of a mess

It is part of the new "Smart Motorway" program

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/smart-motorways/

The purple pipes contain the cabling and are unlikely to be temporary as they provide the cables for the link to the control centre and the various new electronic features such as overhead variable speed limit signs and speed cameras.

They do look a bit unstable and a bit of a mess

Did you read JFK's link?....

Well if they are permanent, they're definitely a bit of a pigs ear....In some sections they're all over the place....

Did you read JFK's link?....

Well if they are permanent, they're definitely a bit of a pigs ear....In some sections they're all over the place....

I drove back from Derby yesterday ,and the same purple pipe is on the section between jn 28 and 31 in places, and half of it is hangong off down the side of the concrete wall. Looks like its just a good gust of wind away from being in the fast lane.

I drove back from Derby yesterday ,and the same purple pipe is on the section between jn 28 and 31 in places, and half of it is hangong off down the side of the concrete wall. Looks like its just a good gust of wind away from being in the fast lane.

Yes....That could definitely be dodgy on a windy rainy night, and one of those snakes decides to wander across the road in front of you....Scary as hell....

Eeeerm....Does this mean they are modifying that section of the motorway into a 'smart' section? Ie with variable speed limits and a plethora of cameras?....God help us!

Thats always been the plan I think??

It certainly is north of Sheffield, you can see at the moment they're constructing those little layby's similar to the ones on the M62, to allow traffic somewhere safe to have a breakdown.

I think the same is true on the stretch south to Nottingham.

(Although spotting anyone working there is somewhat of an event in itself)