Curious: What's that purple pipe along the central barrier: M1

It is part of the new "Smart Motorway" program

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/smart-motorways/

The purple pipes contain the cabling and are unlikely to be temporary as they provide the cables for the link to the control centre and the various new electronic features such as overhead variable speed limit signs and speed cameras.

They do look a bit unstable and a bit of a mess

And when a bad accident occurs that severs the cables the network will go down, I presume.

And when a bad accident occurs that severs the cables the network will go down, I presume.

Yep....I would presume so.....

However, in the open sections (which are visible...ie not joined up properly)...I couldn't see any cabling of any sort leading from one to another (yet)...

The purple ducts you can see in the centre are temporary while works are carried out in the verge and carry what's called an interruptor cable. The motorway communication cables normally run underground in the verge but during the works need to be moved so they aren't damaged. The safest place to put them is in the centre. The works in the verge will include installation of new underground ducts where the old ones can't be re-used. When the works are complete, new cable is installed to link with the existing cable either side of the works and the ducts and cable in the centre will be removed.

Just about to post something very similar :-)

They are tempoary so lets not get all in a tiffy.

They might be temporary, but I can't help thinking what the chaos will be when they start road works 'proper' on there to put in the smart motorway....and how long it will take them to do it.....