Private sector 'not fit for purpose'.

There is now a whole profession of people within Govt departments who do nowt but ponce about making sure teams whiteboards have the correct coloured stickers on them.

Rather than doing real jobs

That is correct. Management notions imported from the business mode of the multinational, internal competition and the marketization of public institutions is a politically motivated attack on the public sector. It does not work, unless you are an executive, in which case you can expect a lavish income and a level of power undreamed of by the front line, who face redundancy, cuts,meaningless targets and an impossible workload. The front line are the scapegoats when things go wrong, and have a tin-plate pension to look forward to if they can survive until retirement (nothing like the gold-plated claims of the mainstream media). The public sector has been hobbled by right-wing ideologues, who then point to the failures they create and claim that the public sector is not fit for purpose.

That is correct. Management notions imported from the business mode of the multinational, internal competition and the marketization of public institutions is a politically motivated attack on the public sector. It does not work, unless you are an executive, in which case you can expect a lavish income and a level of power undreamed of by the front line, who face redundancy, cuts,meaningless targets and an impossible workload. The front line are the scapegoats when things go wrong, and have a tin-plate pension to look forward to if they can survive until retirement (nothing like the gold-plated claims of the mainstream media). The public sector has been hobbled by right-wing ideologues, who then point to the failures they create and claim that the public sector is not fit for purpose.

Problem-Reaction-Solution

Diocletian would be proud!

I agree with that, as someone who worked in the private sector throughout my working life it is obvious that only in very specific circumstances can you take lessons from either sector and apply them to the other.

The private sector is driven by the need to return a profit, unless you do so consistently the business will fail, at least it will when it finally runs out of money.

The public sector is providing a service to the public and the main aim is, or should be, the delivery of that service.

Whilst it's fair and acceptable for us to demand that public services be carried out efficiently and as cost effectively as possible it is counter productive when the government keep sticking their oar in for political purposes.

Most public services appear to me to be bloated and overmanned, but the overmanning is rarely at the sharp end where the job is actually being done.

The layers of management in the NHS and local government is ridiculous.

This is endemic in the public sector, when this country ran an empire it did so with less than 5,000 civil servants, we now have 412,000 civil servants and no empire.

Well that surprises me, I worked for three PLCs over a number of years and never encountered a balls up of anything like the magnitude associated with the public sector.

The amount of money lost on these failed projects would severely damage all but the very largest corporations, people would lose their jobs and company reports to shareholders would normally reveal the truth.

Not saying you're not correct, just surprised it isn't reported more often.

I've been in IT since 1976 and ,like you,never encountered the huge balls ups we see from government IT projects.. (doesn't matter what colour is in power).. I can only assume that the project description and scope are poorly defined at the start..

Edited by truman