Blades vs Port Vale

canadablade

We had family round at weekend, so it was a case of dashing back from BDTBL, seeing what the rugby score was (had update texts all afternoon about the Wales game), shower, change, straight out, in a bar by 6.15 (near where I took CB and my nephew last time he was here), and sat down to eat in a restaurant by 7pm. Down to Kelham Island after, met a gang, drinks in a few pubs, taxi back to a late bar.

Sunday, family stuff, lunch in town, dropped people off at the train station, back home, out to the pub quiz.

Yesterday, work all day, busy all night.

Hence.......

Interesting line up on Saturday, no Jay McEveley (shoulder injury, been playing for the last few weeks with pain killing injections), no Michael Doyle ("being rested"), so we had a team of Howard in goal, Freeman taking Brayfords place at right back, Brayford moving into the centre with Basham, Harris on the left. Coutts and Holt in middle of the park, Murphy out left, Done out on the right, Baxter in front of the midfield and Steven Davies as the target man up front.

This was my first reall look at Davies, and based on what I saw, he probably shaded man-of-the-match for me. He is big, strong, a bit of pace for a big lad (not blindingly fast of course, but moves quicker than his size suggests) and did all that was asked of him. The Vale defenders were all over him (literally) but he shrugged them off.

The tone of the game was set within the first 15 minutes when ex-SUFC player Michael Brown went in with both feet, leaving the referee no choice but to hand him a yellow card. Vale were putting the boot in more often than not, and on a couple of occasions,the ref was lenient by saying that a tackle took place just outside the box, when it was actually in.

Steven Davies shot from inside the box but the Port Vale goal keeper was fast enough to dive low and catch it, and this was quickly followed by a similar shot from just outside the box which looked to be heading into the top corner, from Murphy, but another good save was pulled off by the keeper.

It could have been a case of the old boy coming back to haunt us, when Michael Brown ran onto a loose ball outside the Blades box and smacked it hard, Howard was equal to it. The ball was quickly launched up field and the big figure of Steven Davies latched onto it and left footed it, just inches wide, the goalie would have had no chance to stop that one.

A goal mouth scramble saw Murphy fouled in the box and the ref pointed to the spot, up stepped Baxter, who, as always, fired a rocket of a shot into goal. The lkeeper went the right way but was never going to get to it in time. 1-0.

Moments later, Baxter charged down the right wing crossed the ball in, Davies blasted it at point blank range past the keepr, but was judged to be off side. Close call from where I was sat, and another linesman on another day would have given it.

Second half and Port Vale brought on a couple of very big lads, Tom Pope and Colin Daniel .

Matt Done almost scored in the opening minutes when he shot in at a very tight angle, leavinig the keeper with a lot to do, but he manged to hold it on the line. Minutes later, the Vale number 15 (midfield player), hit a powerful shot high up, but Howard was able to simply reach up and claim it, making it look easier than I am sure it was.

Tom Pope was causing a few issues up front, due to his size, but Basham and Brayford kept him contained most of the time, he made a couple of good shots, but invariably wide or over the bar.

The bigger threat was Marshall (?, I think that was the player), who had pace and guile and was always a threat.

Clough replaced Matt Done with Ryan Flynn, ane while Flynny was great when he came on, I would have preferred to see McNulty on, a natural goal scorer. Not long after, Michael Doyle came on for Jose Baxter. Baxter still splits opinion. Half the game, he was awesome, composed on the ball, making great passes and crosses, then at other times, he was constantly over-hitting the ball, out of play.

Michael Brown gave a heavy tackle to Ryan Flynn and the ref had seen enough, second yellow and dismissed. For some reason he was laughing as he walked off the pitch, not sure if he had some sort of bet with himself that he would return to BDTBL and get sent off?

That was pretty much the final whistle.

Interesting to see the team line up, but if Coutts is going to replace Doyle, long term, he needs to be staying in the middle of the park and not drifting all over. Holt made a couple of fast runs and gave us pace, but he never looked likely to score. Murphy had two men on him and still gave a good account of himself, but it was Davies who stood out for me.

UTB

Edited by Grappler

Top Man Grapps, I've mentioned before just how grateful I am for your (better than) reports.

Being unable to leave the house really sucks but when I read your posts I feel as if I'm stood with the lads on the Kop.

I'm welling up with gratitude at the way you take time out to keep me informed.

Thanks and God Bless Grapps, it's a privilege to know someone that goes that extra mile to help others.

Mille Grazie

Joe.

Top Man Grapps, I've mentioned before just how grateful I am for your (better than) reports.

Being unable to leave the house really sucks but when I read your posts I feel as if I'm stood with the lads on the Kop.

I'm welling up with gratitude at the way you take time out to keep me informed.

Thanks and God Bless Grapps, it's a privilege to know someone that goes that extra mile to help others.

Mille Grazie

Joe.

You never need to thank me pal, that's what friends are for.

Fingers crossed for tonight, and if we can keep Steven Davies injury free for the rest of the season, he will be a real threat to a lot of teams, giving us the height and physicality that we have lacked up front. While I would not play them together for a full game, I think a fully fit Higdon alongside Davies would give us two huge bruisers up front, maybe for a 20 minute spell, cause some trouble for defenders.

UTB.

Well its a good job you posted on this thread grapps,you managed to get it into double figures,ive never known so little interest in a game and you won.Not having a dig here [honestly ]but do you think a lot of blades have wrote this season off already,which would be stupid surely if that's the case.

Well its a good job you posted on this thread grapps,you managed to get it into double figures,ive never known so little interest in a game and you won.Not having a dig here [honestly ]but do you think a lot of blades have wrote this season off already,which would be stupid surely if that's the case.

No pal, I genuinely think that the die hards like you, me, Canada Blade and others, will be on here through thick and thin (although I can't get on every day), but the recent stuff with attacks on posters, accusations of bullying, and Trav getting the push has left a sour taste. Can't let the spoilers win though mate! :)

No pal, I genuinely think that the die hards like you, me, Canada Blade and others, will be on here through thick and thin (although I can't get on every day), but the recent stuff with attacks on posters, accusations of bullying, and Trav getting the push has left a sour taste. Can't let the spoilers win though mate! :)

Yes I agree,and to be honest I did think that was the reason:( shame though.

It seems some had a stronger urge to cause/lengthen arguments and childish disagreements than contribute to the threads.

It reached the point where supporting ones team on here became less important than slating the other.

In a nutshell, they made a far better job of sticking it to the section than Admin ever could.

BTW ... I completely agree about Trav, instead of learning from his knowledge some were threatened by it and acted accordingly ... for shame.

Trav got the push again ????

Im here because I get bored at work G :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Got to say I don't come on here very often now as I got fed up with all the childish bickering and name calling but always like to see good posts from people like CB, Grapps and Gazza.

By the way, that kit worn on Saturday is NOT a Sheffield United home kit in my opinion :rant: