Mansion tax, another celeb complains

Cheryl versini (cole) or whatever is thinking of switching to another party. This follows myleene klass garage for 2 million comment and angelina jolie saying the mansion tax would put her off moving here...my advice dont move here then!

And if you want to live in a massive palace abroad like griff rhys jones be my guest.

We dont need scrounging celebs not paying fair share.

This must be some strange usage of the word "Celebrity" I was previously unaware of. What's she worried about anyway? She'll never vote Labour and besides what happened to the primary tory principle of ability to pay? It's always the same with tories - everyone else should pay but them

This must be some strange usage of the word "Celebrity" I was previously unaware of. What's she worried about anyway? She'll never vote Labour and besides what happened to the primary tory principle of ability to pay? It's always the same with tories - everyone else should pay but them

She is a lifelong labour supporter. But now faced with the prospect of paying a bit back is considering her options

Be plenty of people pay the mansion tax, celebs are just one group. Be a great earner for this country

It will if it doesn't reduce their spending power by the amount taken, if they already spend all their disposable income they will have to cut back on something.

Good for her. I would feel exactly the same way if I was in her position.

They OWN their home. Its paid for through THEIR money. The states has provided nothing towards it and not subsidised anything.

Now the state want them to pay an annual charge just because they are fortunate or have worked hard enough to buy something above £xxxx amount.

Why the hell should they pay? What the hell has it got to do with Labour that they happen to own an expensive property.

Its all well and good all these lefties banging on about "they can afford it" "they don't pay any tax anyway" "they are all rich celebs" "they never do a proper days work" but there is complete failure to see the bigger picture.

Where does this sort of punishment on those with money end.

£2M pounds today could very easily slip to include £1M homes next week. That would start including people on very more modest incomes, particularly in the South East and in London. £1M does not buy that much in those areas. How long before it stars to slip even more and suddenly people who have a "large" flat or a large area of land are suddenly forced to pay annual charges for being deemed "rich" "spoilt" "landowners"

Typical labour policy. Punish those who make their own way in the word. Handouts to the lazy, feckless and jobless. Equality my backside.

Perhaps Ed Silliband should be forced to pay an annual charge for his two kitchens.

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 12:21 ----------

They OWN their home. Its paid for through THEIR money. The states has provided nothing towards it and no subsidised anything.

Now the state want them to pay an annual charge just because they are fortunate or have worked hard enough to buy something above £xxxx amount.

Why the hell should they pay? What the hell has it got to do with Labour that they happen to own an expensive property.

Its all well and good all these lefties banging on about "they can afford it" "they don't pay any tax anyway" "they are all rich celebs" "they never do a proper days work" but there is complete failure to see the bigger picture.

£2M pounds today could very easily slip to include £1M homes next week. That would start including people on very more modest incomes, particularly in the South East and in London. £1M does not buy that much in those areas. How long before it stars to slip even more and suddenly people who have a "large" flat or a large area of land are suddenly forced to pay annual charges for being deemed "rich" "spoilt" "landowners"

Typical labour policy. Punish those who make their own way in the word. Feed the lazy, feckless and jobless. Equality my backside.

Perhaps Ed Silliband should be forced to pay an annual charge for his two kitchens.

Edited by ECCOnoob

They OWN their home. Its paid for through THEIR money. The states has provided nothing towards it and not subsidised anything.

Typical labour policy. Punish those who make their own way in the word. Handouts to the lazy, feckless and jobless. Equality my backside.

If you made money off the uk public then pay back into the system.

Its a great way to stop people just sitting on property too.

Fantastic proposal, just one of several from Labour

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 12:27 ----------

Reintroduce the 50p top rate of income tax for earnings over £150,000. Cut income tax for 24 million people by bringing back the 10p rate, paid for by scrapping the Married Couples' Tax Allowance. Bring in a "mansion tax" on properties worth over £2m, to raise £1.2bn. A tax on bankers' bonuses. A 5% pay cut for every government minister

If you made money off the uk public then pay back into the system.

Its a great way to stop people just sitting on property too.

Fantastic proposal, just one of several from Labour

Who has said that they are not already paying money into the system. Plenty of those people with their £2M homes will have very good jobs that will pay a huge amount of tax into the system. With the 45% tax rate on their income, premium council tax bands, VAT and other associated they will probably pay far more than me or you would in a career.

You are not going to tell me that each and every one of the 100,000+ "mansion" home owners are all non dom tax dodgers.

They contribute plenty. People can sit on property all they want. Its an investment. Their investment. Their money.

Property is not some precious public asset that we must all share and distribute with each other. If somebody owns a property its theirs. They can do what the hell they want with it.

If the government want that sort of housing utopia then they had better get building a completely standardised, equal size, equally spaced state provided residence for each and every british citizen that we pay no extra charges on other than out of our standard taxation.

Until that happens its none of their business what people do with THEIR owned homes.

And on housing...Build 200,000 houses a year by 2020, including new towns and garden cities. Cap rent increases in the private sector and scrap letting fees to estate agents to give a "fairer deal" to tenants. Greater powers for councils to reduce the number of empty homes.

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 12:31 ----------

Who has said that they are not already paying money into the system. Plenty of those people with their £2M homes will have very good jobs that will pay a huge amount of tax into the system. With the 45% tax rate on their income, premium council tax bands, VAT and other associated they will probably pay far more than me or you would in a career.

You are not going to tell me that each and every one of the 100,000+ "mansion" home owners are all non dom tax dodgers.

They contribute plenty. People can sit on property all they want. Its an investment. Their investment. Their money.

Property is not some precious public asset that we must all share and distribute with each other. If somebody owns a property its theirs. They can do what the hell they want with it.

If the government want that sort of housing utopia then they had better get building a completely standardised, equal size, equally spaced state provided residence for each and every british citizen that we pay no extra charges on other than out of our standard taxation.

Until that happens its none of their business what people do with THEIR owned homes.

Some of those mansions could be made into affordable housing. If you want to keep it, however then pay a tax on the asset.

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 12:32 ----------

Its not fair foreign imvestors pay 26 quid a week on a 1.8 million property that they barely live in.

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 12:34 ----------

They also did away with squatting...hopefully labour will relax those laws and we can fill up those empty mansions