Benefit sanctions evidence

Sanctions need to end.

They are being doled out unfairly and way too often.

And even if one is in favour of sanctions, sanctions are completely disproportionate and do not reflect the world of work.

If a person is 5 minutes late to work they might lose 15 minutes pay and have a cuppa in the ten minutes spare.

If a person is 5 minutes late to the job centre they could lose between 4 weeks and 3 years money. - Completely disproportionate.

If a person is 5 mins late to the JC+ the most they should lose should be 5 minutes benefit, about 5p.

This might not be much of a deterrant - but that is because benefits are TOO LOW.

If someone is late for their fortnightly job centre appointment it is the equivalent to turning up late to work every day for a fortnight. It's all they have to do, show up on time once a fortnight. If I knew I had to do that and if I didn't I could lose a months money, I'd make absolutely sure I was there on the dot. Wouldn't you?

The company I work for in Scotland regularly set up stall at job fairs organised by local benefits offices. People out of work in that particular area are required to attend it. The benefits staff position themselves at a table near the entrance/exit door. People out of work are ticked off their list as they enter the building and if they try and leave the jobs fair without a good excuse for not signing up for any company offering employment, then they're sent back round again until they do so.

The company I work for in Scotland regularly set up stall at job fairs organised by local benefits offices. People out of work in that particular area are required to attend it. The benefits staff position themselves at a table near the entrance/exit door. People out of work are ticked off their list as they enter the building and if they try and leave the jobs fair without a good excuse for not signing up for any company offering employment, then they're sent back round again until they do so.

Who do you work for?

Some front line workers will try and take an individual's circumstances into account, others will look for the slightest opportunity to apply sanctions. I've worked on a public sector front line (not DWP thank goodness) where we had rules to follow regarding housing and homelessness. Most of us applied the rules with as much empathy and support that we could, others sometimes seemed to take adverse pleasure in offering the bare minimum of help. :(

I suppose if I was reliant on means tested benefits I'd ensure I did everything in my power to meet the conditions. However, anecdotal reporting suggests that necessary information isn't getting to some claimants, causing them to miss appointments. Surely if a set date and/or time needs to change it could be done via timely text or email rather than letter for the majority of claimants? Cheaper, quicker, and less chance of a message going astray.

One of my friends son is being forced onto a work placement. He's a single parent, and has to pick his kid up from school at 3.00. The placement doesn't finish while 4, but if he has explained his situation, and was told if he doesn't attend said course he will lose his benefit.

Circumstances should be taken into account when people are about to be sanctioned. JCP, also has deals running with poundland and savers where they provide them workers for no wages and class it as work experience.

One of my friends son is being forced onto a work placement. He's a single parent, and has to pick his kid up from school at 3.00. The placement doesn't finish while 4, but if he has explained his situation, and was told if he doesn't attend said course he will lose his benefit.

Circumstances should be taken into account when people are about to be sanctioned. JCP, also has deals running with poundland and savers where they provide them workers for no wages and class it as work experience.

I suspect the company that employs GLASGOWOODS does the same.

It can be really hard to juggle childcare with work, especially if there are no family members who can help out. Has he checked his eligibility for tax credits to pay for childcare when he's on placement? I know working single parents can get tax credits to pay a registered childminder.

Radio 4 has some excellent human interest / political programmes on. You can learn a lot, and hearing it from the 'horse's mouth' gives it added potency. I didn't hear this piece, (they are often embedded in programmes that have different items so are hard to track down,) but I urge people to listen to radio 4. It is a source of much reliable information.

I agree with you for once. Radio 4 has some brilliant programming. Today and PM are very good indeed. They tend to be fairly balanced compared with quite a lot of the left wing bias on quite a lot of the BBC. Woman's hour is always good.

The plays they have on are just plain silly nowadays mostly that I switch over nearly as quickly as when I hear the archers music come on.

But yes mostly it is excellent and informative.

Who do you work for?

I'm a service manager, (Health n Social Care).

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 08:13 ----------

I suspect the company that employs GLASGOWOODS does the same.

Nope.

We do not use agencies and we do not employ anyone on zero hour contracts.

We do take students (it's part of their study) to shadow a manager. But, never in a support role to clients. We are a responsible company!

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

It can be really hard to juggle childcare with work, especially if there are no family members who can help out. Has he checked his eligibility for tax credits to pay for childcare when he's on placement? I know working single parents can get tax credits to pay a registered childminder.

I'll ask his mum, as far as I know she is having to pick her grandson up from school for him. Thanks for letting me know, but I have a feeling if its a placement they will not help with costs, but you never know may be worth a try.