Cannon Pub, Castle Street

Saturday afternoon disco downstairs fantastic yard of ale competition great pub Tommy green ran it and it was once the best pub in town

Unless I'm deluded. that place was no where near 'the best pub in town', not by a million miles!

Unless I'm deluded. that place was no where near 'the best pub in town', not by a million miles!

It was!.

The Cannon along with the Adelphi [built on by the Crucible] were the two finest pubs in Sheffield during the sixties and seventies.

The Cannon was in fact an unofficial labour exchange where workers from the building trade would congregate so as to find the latest job paying the top money, [You could pack a job in on Monday and be back in another by Tuesday on better money] .

There was also a well known poem going around at that time entitled ,Where shall I go tonight Cannon or Adelphi.

Quite right - in the 1970s it was a regular pub lunch venue for me and my colleagues from the Midland Bank round the corner (now the Banker's Draft pub - definitely a change for the better..:)) In c. 1997 I went in one lunchtime wearing a suit, and I reckon half a dozen pairs of eyes followed me up to the bar - their owners perhaps deciding how much they could do me for. I downed a quick half of bitter - it wasn't bad - and legged it to the Three Cranes.

Think I only ever went in once, but my old man used to use it many moons ago and he liked it and he wesn't one for mixing with the dregs. He worked for 40 odd years at The Hallamshire Steel and File Company on Neepsend Lane opposite the Gardners Rest, anyone remember this company, Hillsbro? Cuttsie?

Think I only ever went in once, but my old man used to use it many moons ago and he liked it and he wesn't one for mixing with the dregs. He worked for 40 odd years at The Hallamshire Steel and File Company on Neepsend Lane opposite the Gardners Rest, anyone remember this company, Hillsbro? Cuttsie?

I remember all those old firms opposite the Gardeners.

Also the knocking shop :hihi:.

Well I'd hardly call it the best pub in town using the criteria it was full of builders looking for work. The best pub in town in the late 60s and seventies was the Buccaneer

The Buccanbleedineer :hihi: you're having a laugh.

Mind you it was near the Lion on Holly Street another famous Sheffield pub.

And Sttoooonses to boot.

Non of that bloody awful chemically induced, lavatory beckoning, head ache giving , armpit smelly Wards:gag: in the best Sheffield pubs.

Stooooonses Cannon Ales the only Sheffield beer ever to be worth supping.

The Buccanbleedineer :hihi: you're having a laugh.

Mind you it was near the Lion on Holly Street another famous Sheffield pub.

And Sttoooonses to boot.

Non of that bloody awful chemically induced, lavatory beckoning, head ache giving , armpit smelly Wards:gag: in the best Sheffield pubs.

Stooooonses Cannon Ales the only Sheffield beer ever to be worth supping.

Spot on Cuttsie we emigrated to the Buccaneer after the Adelphi was demolished it wasn,t a patch on the Delph no way!:thumbsup::gag: