Cannon Pub, Castle Street

Think I only ever went in once, but my old man used to use it many moons ago and he liked it and he wesn't one for mixing with the dregs. He worked for 40 odd years at The Hallamshire Steel and File Company on Neepsend Lane opposite the Gardners Rest, anyone remember this company, Hillsbro? Cuttsie?

Remember the Hallamshire pretty well,

and Stooenses was the best.

Did you sup lemonade in the Brunswick then cuttsie? :hihi:

Thats a blast from the past ;)was it Tenants ?I remember the frontage was a yellow tile effect before the vandals put that bloody swap shop frontage on the Brunswick.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 17:11 ----------

Tell me more Cuttsie

I thought it would be Chrystal clear:hihi:.

The lasses used to have their tea break in the Gardeners Rest.

Neepsend Lane ;)knew some of the girls as they treated him for a bad back.

Did you sup lemonade in the Brunswick then cuttsie? :hihi:

Probably black and tans or barley wines...lol. Only saying, because that's what I supped if I liked the pub but not the ale'

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 13:44 ----------

It was general knowledge, that if you wanted to pay less than market prices for anything locally, such as meat etc. just ask in the Cannon, and within the time of supping a pint, your order was fulfilled. Never tried it myself by the way!:suspect:

I am pleased that it was shut down. Den of iniquity!

A lot of pubs in that area were places you get knocked off stuff or stuff the market traders couldn't sell at their stalls. I have been offered "bargains" at the Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Kings Arms, Cannon and a few others, not really fair to single out the Cannon. It was not one of my favourite pub ,but I never was worried about dropping in for a couple as a cuple of lads I worked with were regulars there.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 13:48 ----------

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 14:04 ----------

Probably black and tans or barley wines...lol. Only saying, because that's what I supped if I liked the pub but not the ale'

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 13:44 ----------

A lot of pubs in that area were places you get knocked off stuff or stuff the market traders couldn't sell at their stalls. I have been offered "bargains" at the Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Kings Arms, Cannon and a few others, not really fair to single out the Cannon. It was not one of my favourite pub ,but I never was worried about dropping in for a couple as a cuple of lads I worked with were regulars there.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 13:48 ----------

I would just like to add to my last post that I did leave the country in 1981 so perhaps the Cannon got much worse in later years than when I remember it.

Edited by TORONTONY
to add a line

Thats a blast from the past ;)was it Tenants ?I remember the frontage was a yellow tile effect before the vandals put that bloody swap shop frontage on the Brunswick.

Yes it was. Already taken over by Whitbread when this photo was taken in 1975.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21752&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21752&prevUrl=

Great picture that Jim.

Why have the Town Planners allowed such an iconic Sheffield building to be cladded in Yellow M.D.F board, it is as though they do not care about the Market area at all.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 17:11 ----------

I thought it would be Chrystal clear:hihi:.

The lasses used to have their tea break in the Gardeners Rest.

Neepsend Lane ;)knew some of the girls as they treated him for a bad back.

After which he had a sore front!!.:confused::D

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6129439194500870417

Hi Jim, Like the picture and had great sat nights with mates in Brunswicks.

Good entertainment in there aswell some of fish mongers use to go in at

dinner times and the beer was good.

I enclose a picture of Hen &Chickens didn't use the place very much

( Funny Landlord ). :gag: