Cannon Pub, Castle Street

Think Tommy Green who was the landlord use to work at Brown Baileys before he had the Cannon Pub:huh:

he had the blue ball hillsbrough and then the horse shoe on bellhouse rd then moved to Rotherham and had the queens hotel with Diane a bar maid who worked in horse shoe!

Probably black and tans or barley wines...lol. Only saying, because that's what I supped if I liked the pub but not the ale'

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 13:44 ----------

A lot of pubs in that area were places you get knocked off stuff or stuff the market traders couldn't sell at their stalls. I have been offered "bargains" at the Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Kings Arms, Cannon and a few others, not really fair to single out the Cannon. It was not one of my favourite pub ,but I never was worried about dropping in for a couple as a cuple of lads I worked with were regulars there.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 13:48 ----------

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 14:04 ----------

I would just like to add to my last post that I did leave the country in 1981 so perhaps the Cannon got much worse in later years than when I remember it.

It was shut down by the Courts years ago as result of drug dealing and selling illicit / stolen property by some of the local criminal fraternity:gag:

Rather emabarrasingly, I proposed to my wife downstairs in the Cannon.Still can't believe she said yes!What a romantic soul I was.

Was there a downstairs in the Cannon? I don't remember that!

I just stayed on the ground floor and didn't take that much attention.

Sorry, I must be wrong. I have just read the previous threads re downstairs! How could I have missed that? (it mussed have been the beer and looking over my shoulder all the time . Paranoid or what! (not the worst place to be though).

You could have got cheaper meat at the Market Tavern, perhaps from the same supplier. Anyway that's days gone-by now in it.

Edited by yorky15
beer

Was there a downstairs in the Cannon? I don't remember that!

I just stayed on the ground floor and didn't take that much attention.

Sorry, I must be wrong. I have just read the previous threads re downstairs! How could I have missed that? (it mussed have been the beer and looking over my shoulder all the time . Paranoid or what! (not the worst place to be though).

You could have got cheaper meat at the Market Tavern, perhaps from the same supplier. Anyway that's days gone-by now in it.

Not bin in sheffield for a long time but did hear that the hen and chickens got the contract for cheap goodies and not only on saturdays :hihi::hihi:

Seriously fond and painful memories of the Cannon.Particularly Christmas Eve lunchtime sessions 1979/81 and every Friday at that time and this was definitely downstairs!! (don't think I ever went in the upstairs bar!!)It was the venue of choice for the crowd I knocked around with and if I get second hand lung cancer in future I know where from!!(I never smoked myself).If I ever hear "Rhythm of the rain" by the Cascades it takes me straight back to the great jukebox!! It was quite rough though.What did I know I was 18.....Did get my nose broken on the stairs by someone who objected to something or other but only violent incident I was directly involved in.I remember once a rather worse for wear person being carried out,up the stairs ,on a ladder!! What a pub!

Can't quite believe now that I ever went in!!!

Seriously fond and painful memories of the Cannon.Particularly Christmas Eve lunchtime sessions 1979/81 and every Friday at that time and this was definitely downstairs!! (don't think I ever went in the upstairs bar!!)It was the venue of choice for the crowd I knocked around with and if I get second hand lung cancer in future I know where from!!(I never smoked myself).If I ever hear "Rhythm of the rain" by the Cascades it takes me straight back to the great jukebox!! It was quite rough though.What did I know I was 18.....Did get my nose broken on the stairs by someone who objected to something or other but only violent incident I was directly involved in.I remember once a rather worse for wear person being carried out,up the stairs ,on a ladder!! What a pub!

Can't quite believe now that I ever went in!!!

Yep I can relate with that, a similar thing happened to me in the Heartbeat on Queens Rd in the late 60s.We both finished up in the A&E glaring at each other.

We shook hands after!

Weird or what? Good times though over all ;)

Quite right - in the 1970s it was a regular pub lunch venue for me and my colleagues from the Midland Bank round the corner (now the Banker's Draft pub - definitely a change for the better..:)) In c. 1997 I went in one lunchtime wearing a suit, and I reckon half a dozen pairs of eyes followed me up to the bar - their owners perhaps deciding how much they could do me for. I downed a quick half of bitter - it wasn't bad - and legged it to the Three Cranes.

Dear Hillsbro you are very clued up on old Sheff.Can you tell me what pub I am thinking of it was in the mid sixties and it stood near to where you would go to tax your car.If my memory serves me correctly you went pass the front of the main library walk across the road near the main entrance to a side street and just past the road tax office was a pub.One of the first pubs I went in but I think it was about to be demolished .Any ideas?

Hi petcharlie - the motor tax office was on Eyre Street, and 1950s/60s directories don't show any pubs along this street or the adjacent parts of streets nearby - Norfolk Lane, Howard Street etc. so I'm a bit at a loss..:confused: Perhaps another Forummer can help?

Hi petcharlie - the motor tax office was on Eyre Street, and 1950s/60s directories don't show any pubs along this street or the adjacent parts of streets nearby - Norfolk Lane, Howard Street etc. so I'm a bit at a loss..:confused: Perhaps another Forummer can help?

The Globe on Howard Street?