Cannon Pub, Castle Street

My mam used to work in that pub , and also bull and mouth ? Memory's fading so I could have name wrong just at bottom of hill before going into castle market

Thats it Beeffy bang across the Haymarket on the opposite corner from the Market,

Thats it Beeffy bang across the Haymarket on the opposite corner from the Market,

Getting confused here, which pub on what corner and what hill? The only pub in Haymarket was the old Brunswick Hotel, which wasn't on a corner. Of the pubs that were in the vicinity of the Castle Market-as the names I knew them-

Cannon Hotel; Hen and Chickens; Rotherham House and the Rock weren't on corners either and the two that I recall that were on corners and at the bottom of a hill were Norfolk Arms (Dixon Lane) and Bull and Mouth (now Tap & Barrel, Waingate)

As you came from the wicker , across lady's bridge , and through the lights bull and mouth ,( and your right ) it's called tap and barrel now was on the corner of the slight incline before going onto waingate proper , cannon was on your first right across from courts , hen &chicken is further up a bit .

Lady's bridge pub is where my dad used to take me , before going to match , he used to meet all his Irish mates in there , my mother used to work in cannon & bull and mouth .

Was there a downstairs in the Cannon? I don't remember that!

I just stayed on the ground floor and didn't take that much attention.

Sorry, I must be wrong. I have just read the previous threads re downstairs! How could I have missed that? (it mussed have been the beer and looking over my shoulder all the time . Paranoid or what! (not the worst place to be though).

You could have got cheaper meat at the Market Tavern, perhaps from the same supplier. Anyway that's days gone-by now in it.

Funny you should say that about the downstairs, as I only ever went there and didn't know there was an upstairs... lol

Getting confused here, which pub on what corner and what hill?...
Here is a map showing the locations of the pubs:

..1 = Bull & Mouth

..2 = Hen & Chickens

..3 = Cannon

..4 = Brunswick

..5 = Rotherham House

..6 = Rock Tavern

The Department of Useless Facts informs me that the name "Bull & Mouth" has nothing to do with livestock. It is a variation of the phrase "Boulogne Mouth", meaning the entrance or "mouth" of Boulogne harbour. Henry VIII had sent his fleet there in 1544 to destroy the French ships in their home port. Pubs with the name Bull & Mouth owe the origin of the name to a wave of patriotism that swept through Elizabethan England..:)

Edited by hillsbro

As you came from the wicker , across lady's bridge , and through the lights bull and mouth ,( and your right ) it's called tap and barrel now was on the corner of the slight incline before going onto waingate proper , cannon was on your first right across from courts , hen &chicken is further up a bit .

Lady's bridge pub is where my dad used to take me , before going to match , he used to meet all his Irish mates in there , my mother used to work in cannon & bull and mouth .

Wow that brings back memories. When I left school used to meet my dad down there on a Friday to help him bring the weekend shopping back from the market. Either Buull or Norfolk Arms... and, on one occasion, the Barrowboys! Haven't heard that mentioned since. Anyone else remember it?

Here is a map showing the locations of the pubs:

..1 = Bull & Mouth

..2 = Hen & Chickens

..3 = Cannon

..4 = Brunswick

..5 = Rotherham House

..6 = Rock Tavern

The Department of Useless Facts informs me that the name "Bull & Mouth" has nothing to do with livestock. It is a variation of the phrase "Boulogne Mouth", meaning the entrance or "mouth" of Boulogne harbour. Henry VIII had sent his fleet there in 1844 to destroy the French ships in their home port. Pubs with the name Bull & Mouth owe the origin of the name to a wave of patriotism that swept through Elizabethan England..:)

Very interesting, I assume your date regarding the fleet action is a typo, If not, I bet Queen Victoria was surprised! (joke)

Wow that brings back memories. When I left school used to meet my dad down there on a Friday to help him bring the weekend shopping back from the market. Either Buull or Norfolk Arms... and, on one occasion, the Barrowboys! Haven't heard that mentioned since. Anyone else remember it?

Barrowboys??