Cannon Pub, Castle Street

Barrow Boys, Pond Street. but it didn't last long.

It was actually on Shude Hill underneath the bridge that carries Commercial Street over it. If you look on StreetView you can see the boarded up doorway.

It was full of skinheads the last time I was in it.

It was actually on Shude Hill underneath the bridge that carries Commercial Street over it. If you look on StreetView you can see the boarded up doorway.

It was full of skinheads the last time I was in it.

As this place (Barrowboys) is new to me, was this pub a testimony of some sort to the vendors of the Dixon Lane vicinity and having street market artifacts like...well, fruit barrows and fruit carts and some of their wares-five for ten razor blades comes to mind- and pictures on the wall of some of the Lane's most celebrated luminaries, Lol Knight, Keith Littlewood and Big Ada et al?

---------- Post added 30-06-2015 at 01:40 ----------

Was it the Penny Black before that?

I checked it on street view like Jim Hardie said, and the Penny Black is still there. The (Barrow Boys) place looks like it was a non-descript one-off place. It was near the steps that lead up to Fitzalan Square.

As this place (Barrowboys) is new to me, was this pub a testimony of some sort to the vendors of the Dixon Lane vicinity and having street market artifacts like...well, fruit barrows and fruit carts and some of their wares-five for ten razor blades comes to mind- and pictures on the wall of some of the Lane's most celebrated luminaries, Lol Knight, Keith Littlewood and Big Ada et al?

---------- Post added 30-06-2015 at 01:40 ----------

I checked it on street view like Jim Hardie said, and the Penny Black is still there. The (Barrow Boys) place looks like it was a non-descript one-off place. It was near the steps that lead up to Fitzalan Square.

think it was only open weekends a big guy called SAS WAS THE DJ HE DIED SOME TIME BACK NICE BLOKE

Anyone heard on any plans for the Cannon its quite derelict looking, given the plans for the area around the pub its going to end up a right eyesore? Went in the Hen and Chickens pub a while back one of the barmaids told me after the Cannon closed someone got in and apparently smashed up the inside.

Here is a map showing the locations of the pubs:

..1 = Bull & Mouth

..2 = Hen & Chickens

..3 = Cannon

..4 = Brunswick

..5 = Rotherham House

..6 = Rock Tavern

The Department of Useless Facts informs me that the name "Bull & Mouth" has nothing to do with livestock. It is a variation of the phrase "Boulogne Mouth", meaning the entrance or "mouth" of Boulogne harbour. Henry VIII had sent his fleet there in 1544 to destroy the French ships in their home port. Pubs with the name Bull & Mouth owe the origin of the name to a wave of patriotism that swept through Elizabethan England..:)

I went in the Rotherham House in the 60's, and used it a couple of times as a Berni Inns mid to late 70's, when did it become the Market? Reason I ask is that until I joined this thread I had never heard of it, yet I know all he other pubs mentioned very well. I left the country in 1981, by the way.

• 1 year later...

A relative of mine has been inside the Cannon as the building is up for sale. The bar has been ripped out along with the seating the thing that struck out was the fact the bar area is windowless and has some odd features like the outside has three doors the middle one seems to go to no where. IV read before about a downstairs disco but from what IV been told the only below room is the cellar above that is the bar above that is living quarters. Did the Cannon once let out rooms because on the upper floors were small rooms with shelving inside that very much looked like a storeroom for bedding?

A relative of mine has been inside the Cannon as the building is up for sale. The bar has been ripped out along with the seating the thing that struck out was the fact the bar area is windowless and has some odd features like the outside has three doors the middle one seems to go to no where. IV read before about a downstairs disco but from what IV been told the only below room is the cellar above that is the bar above that is living quarters. Did the Cannon once let out rooms because on the upper floors were small rooms with shelving inside that very much looked like a storeroom for bedding?

I went in the Cannon quite a few times in the 70's, and only knew of a bar downstairs, never went in one at street level. Never saw disco's as I most often went in the daytime, to meet up with workmates.