Car fan still running after engine has turned off

I know nothing at all about cars so wanting some advice,

I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.3 cdti and we have been to Chester zoo today and back and got home turned the car fully off and the car fan is still going and we have been back a good few hours now! What could this be?

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 23:31 ----------

Must add it is still going off !!

Quite normal, not to worry.

I wouldn't expect it to carry on for several hours, though. I would have thought it would have cooled the engine within a few minutes and then switched off.

I'm not familiar with the detail of these. Hopefully someone will be along soon with some specific knowledge. Meanwhile, I would assume there is a thermostat which switches the fan on if the water temperature is getting too high, and off when the temperature has dropped to an acceptable level. In this case, I presume that the thermostat is sticking in the "on" position.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I know nothing at all about cars so wanting some advice,

I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.3 cdti and we have been to Chester zoo today and back and got home turned the car fully off and the car fan is still going and we have been back a good few hours now! What could this be?

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 23:31 ----------

Must add it is still going off !!

These are very specific symptoms and it's one of those rare occasions you can listen to an educated and experienced guess. Most likely the coolant temp sensor (or at least one of them, if yours has more than one). Much less likely causes (and more expensive) would be a wiring or ECU fault.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 00:32 ----------

Probably a fault with the temperature sensor that operates the cooling fan

Beat me to it