"Oh my God, that is so gay!"

Walking in town today I overheard a couple of semi-adults (I think around 16-18 years) go: "Oh my God, that is so gay!" here was I, thinking that this particular combination of pointless expressions had died with the noughties, but apparently kids still say it?

Isn't it time we bin the expression: "That is so gay." I for one haven't got a clue what it is supposed to mean, but then I know a considerable amount of gay /LGBT people. Does it refer to "being camp"?

The only time I hear people say that, it's my gay friends saying it.

To be fair, they could have been gay. I encountered it a lot during online gaming, but it seems to have died down there now (these days it appears popular to call people Polish for whatever reason...).

Walking in town today I overheard a couple of semi-adults (I think around 16-18 years) go: "Oh my God, that is so gay!" here was I, thinking that this particular combination of pointless expressions had died with the noughties, but apparently kids still say it?

Isn't it time we bin the expression: "That is so gay." I for one haven't got a clue what it is supposed to mean, but then I know a considerable amount of gay /LGBT people. Does it refer to "being camp"?

Just asked my daughter, yes, 'camp' 'effeminate'.

Apparently "gay" in that context means naff, or crap.

If people want to describe something as naff or crap, why can't they use those words? Perhaps they're a bit lacking, who knows....

I personally don't like the use of the term in this context....There was a pretty good discussion about the usage of the word gay on here a while ago: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10520943&highlight=naff#post10520943

Apparently "gay" in that context means naff, or crap.

If people want to describe something as naff or crap, why can't they use those words? Perhaps they're a bit lacking, who knows....

I personally don't like the use of the term in this context....There was a pretty good discussion about the usage of the word gay on here a while ago: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10520943&highlight=naff#post10520943

This is the context in which I've heard it