The damage done - your worst teacher.

Having read the topic about the best teacher it seemed obvious that to my mind we ought to have one regarding the worst teacher and the damage done. Many of us count our experience back to the 'good old days' when ritual humiliation, caning and the all fear that went with it were the norm.:loopy:

I was singled out as a [ let's be generous ] 12 year old and told to stop singing, my voice having started to break. My musical interest was extinguished at a stroke. Masterful. :(

Or how about my experience of science where I was picked out for 3 years and caned by one particular teacher who saw me as the soft option, whereas the real culprits went unpunished. That teacher got his comeuppance when as a 16 year ols he tried it on and I would accept his version of justice.:suspect:

Or technical drawing where an entire year group were terrorised not to say traumatised by one particlar sadistic and vindictive *******.:gag:

Or Woodwork [as it then was] where the slamming of a chisel into the desk was done to impress us. It happened inches from my hand. He received a mouthful and threatened the cane. This was countered with a call to go public about the psycho with a chisel.:confused:

Metalwork was no better where a rampant bull of a man dragged pupils around the workshop by their hair.:help:

Maths ahd the uncontrolled tyrades of an old man who tried to physically drag students over their desk fronts.:huh:

History where the damage was much more insidious; we learnt nothing other than that St. Johnstone are the only British football team with a 'J' in their name. How that comes in very handy when recalling the Kings of England.:rant:

Over to you. Humour me and I'll come back with names and place. That's if you do not beat me to it now I've jogged a few memories of those good old days. Best teacher? The one who took the day off.:D

I said humour me. :hihi: I went to a 'good' school at the time and it seems from what I can gather that it has gone from strength to strength. Indeed, I was prompted to make this posting following my read of the 'best teacher' thread.

I didn't mention PE in my original posting. How about this for a memory jogger; the immortal phrase 'Last one out of the gym gets a hair pull'. It didn't matter you stood in that line we were subjected to being pulled on to tip toe by those strands of hair below the temple. Oh, such good clean fun. I think Himmler was ana dversary of that particular one. And then there's the size 13 slipper that was kept in the PE office and liberally used.:banana:

And when I say caning, don't think of the Bash street kids and some whippy bit of bamboo. It was one inch thick dowel. No flex. No give. Just a solid beating that pummelled the fingers and burst the veins. :evil:

You've yet to humour me. No wonderful memories of the happiest days of your life?:partyhat:

I've just read there have been 44 viewings of this thread. Forty of whom choose not to post. I thought the good folk of the North were forthright in putting their views? Or was it all apple pie and cream?:love:

A very funny joke made about the school being 'approved'. Oh, how that made me laugh.:mad:

All that sadistic brutality metered out on a daily basis and I get a glib comment. Must be a Catholic; why examine the past? Why indeed. Some might think because some of those responsible are still teaching.:(

Have I mentioned being given 4 of the best for shouting 'flipping heck' during a football match?:loopy:

I have heard enough stories from my old man to know what your talking about.

He went to school in the late 40's, they got rubber pipes, cane, slipper, hair pull, waist paper basket etc. Some of the teachers were ex army, battle hardened nutters back from WW2, even the parents daren't complain to the school for fear of getting sorted out.

My schooling was in a much more civilised era, 70's :)

Care to name a date.

Glad you liked the joke :thumbsup:

yeah but just think how much stronger you are for it:banana: :banana::loopy:

We Had simular cretin's at my school (i use the term school loosly) it was a training camp for the syco's who could'nt make it in the prison service for mental resons :gag::loopy:

That delightfull little place was called HINDE HOUSE there where teacher's(if it was now) there who not only would they get the sack but would have been sent to prison :suspect: this all happend in the year's of 1972-1976 the time i spent at that school i class as some of the darkest of my life

What a total waste of time, it was absolutly brilliante when i left

Glynn

Well, I don' t know people. I attended Anns Road school from 1945 until 1951 and High Storrs Grammar until 1956 and I never encountered any teachers like that. When I got disciplined I can't say that I didn't deserve it and the discipline involved the cane or writing out "lines" I guess that all the psychos had gravitated to someplace else.

Having read the topic about the best teacher it seemed obvious that to my mind we ought to have one regarding the worst teacher and the damage done. Many of us count our experience back to the 'good old days' when ritual humiliation, caning and the all fear that went with it were the norm.:loopy:

I was singled out as a [ let's be generous ] 12 year old and told to stop singing, my voice having started to break. My musical interest was extinguished at a stroke. Masterful. :(

Or how about my experience of science where I was picked out for 3 years and caned by one particular teacher who saw me as the soft option, whereas the real culprits went unpunished. That teacher got his comeuppance when as a 16 year ols he tried it on and I would accept his version of justice.:suspect:

Or technical drawing where an entire year group were terrorised not to say traumatised by one particlar sadistic and vindictive *******.:gag:

Or Woodwork [as it then was] where the slamming of a chisel into the desk was done to impress us. It happened inches from my hand. He received a mouthful and threatened the cane. This was countered with a call to go public about the psycho with a chisel.:confused:

Metalwork was no better where a rampant bull of a man dragged pupils around the workshop by their hair.:help:

Maths ahd the uncontrolled tyrades of an old man who tried to physically drag students over their desk fronts.:huh:

History where the damage was much more insidious; we learnt nothing other than that St. Johnstone are the only British football team with a 'J' in their name. How that comes in very handy when recalling the Kings of England.:rant:

Over to you. Humour me and I'll come back with names and place. That's if you do not beat me to it now I've jogged a few memories of those good old days. Best teacher? The one who took the day off.:D

I note you didn’t include a teacher of English. Yours is quite good. Correct spelling etc. So, despite your trials and tribulations you did learn something so your school was not a complete waste of time, was it? On the other hand you might have gone to Evening Classes in order to improve your education?

If such was the case, I note that your bad school with its bad teachers didn’t put you off education altogether.

When I was at school — High Storrs Grammar — I had more canings than anyone in the entire school, and wrote out more lines about things I should not do than anyone else in the entire school. I admit I was a bit of a handful, but I didn’t let it interfere with my education and despite being voted the pupil most likely not to succeed I have over the years succeeded, and I’m still succeeding.

Archived