The damage done - your worst teacher.

Hi PeterW,

I take your point but there were certainly a few sadistic "b*****ds" in teaching years ago, and not just men either.

I went to Burngreave Secondary Modern (1948-1951) but only remember a couple of the teachers who seemed to take it out of certain individuals just for the "Hell-of it". I was in the "A" grade/stream throughout so our teachers were quite reasonable: however, if you were in the "B" or "C" grade, it could be little more brutal.

It was really just part of the system then. The grammer schools got the pick of the teachers and the secondary moderns got what was left, plus the sadists/misfits.

For those of you who are too young to have experienced the secondary modern concept, it was the product of Whitehall at its most "creative".

The purpose of a Secondary Modern School was: " Not to educate but rather to Incarcerate". They were basically warehouses where kids were stored, at the age of 11, until they could be let out of the door at 15 to get a job. Anything that you learnt while there was just a bonus.

Regards

Never went through a Secondary Modern School but knowing Whitehall and Governments for what they are I can well believe the ‘warehouses where kids were stored’. And I can well believe there were sadistic teachers, some of whom were thieves — but that’s another story!

My chemistry teacher told me at the beginning of my A levels that I would never amount to anything and should give up on my education now and get a job stacking shelves at tescos.

It was incredibly satisfying to go back with my younger brother 7 years later to pick up his exam results and tell the teacher about my BSc in genetics, my masters and my Phd in molecular oncology, and to point out that, in the case of the work I do...those who can do and those who cant teach! never seen him lost for words before !

Aw, my post has been removed too. I thought I was rather flattering about the teacher concerned; I think he would have appreciated it. I certainly had nothing but respect for him. Charisma, presence, the ability to hold a class in awe of him as well as in silence. I don't suppose there are many teachere like that these days.

I detested my secondary school's attitude to P.E.

At primary school, I'd been an able gymnast, in the girls football team, netball team and swimming team. I also used to play badminton and go trampolining on a weekend. I think it's fair to say i was reasonably sporty.

Fast forward two years.

Our secondary school was very elitest when it came to netball which it seemed girls sport was focused around. There were a lot of very good netball players at my school (some of my peers still play for Yorkshire county) and those of us middling ones got pushed to one side. It seemed if you were good at netball, you were good at rock climbing, orienteering and ice skating. It was the same for boys who were good at football. Unless you were Barnsley/Wed standard, forget it learning to do anything new. For years, I hated team sports.

To me, they should be encouraging the kids who don't like netball, football to find a sporting passion. For me, it was swimming - my swimming teacher was brilliant and he encouraged all abilities. There was a good male teacher who kept up the girls footie and trampolining for a year but then he left and the trampoline never came out again ;-( But I know in conversation with mates from school that they didn't like sport again until way after they left school and discovered the gym from being unfit.

...those who can do and those who cant teach!

Not really a fair comment is it?:loopy:

I teach science to 14-16 year olds and Chemistry and Physics at A-level. My philosophy of teaching is that every lesson should count for every pupil. You only get one chance, and nobody has the right to spoil it.

I am well qualified and could do thousands of other jobs but I choose to teach because I enjoy it. :rant:

If you want to bring back the good old days contribute to this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100773

In my last year in the junior school in the mid 50s I had a "so called" teacher who made my life a misery.He would single me out at every opportunity and give me a smack or the slipper, Just getting a sum wrong would mean a caning. What a relief when I moved up into the senior school .But just imagine my dismay when our new teacher walked in and it was the same sadistic b*****d .The first thing he did was to call me out and give me a stroke of the cane on each hand ,just as an example to everybody.Lucky for me he only lasted a few weeks then moved to another school. And they talk about bullying nowdays, it's nowt new. The only thing he tought me was to hate school and the teachers. :(

Not really a fair comment is it?:loopy:

I teach science to 14-16 year olds and Chemistry and Physics at A-level. My philosophy of teaching is that every lesson should count for every pupil. You only get one chance, and nobody has the right to spoil it.

I am well qualified and could do thousands of other jobs but I choose to teach because I enjoy it. :rant:

If you want to bring back the good old days contribute to this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100773

chill out...:cool: my comment was in reference to this one particular teacher. I am sure there are some good science teachers out there...just not at my school. In this mans particular case he failed to hold down a research career and became a teacher as a second choice...so in his case my comment is true.

However, if you want to start a debate on all that is wrong with the teaching system feel free and I will contribute my thoughts :rolleyes: .

OK, sorry. :thumbsup:

Comments always got thrown around about teachers being rubbish though and although there are loads of s**t ones, we're not all bad. :)

It's terrible reading this thread how pupils were treated by their teachers. I'm glad things aren't still the same but something has to change with how the system is run at the moment.

I won't get into the debate here if you don't mind - it could go on forever:D

Archived