Plane, 150 on board crashes in southern France

When I was on a plane a few weeks ago (OK, it was a Boeing 747) i was sat on the very first row just behind the cockpit door and there was a little keypad on it which one presumes has a combination to open the door in case of an emergency?

However throughout the flight, if anyone wanted to get into the cockpit they had to show their face to the camera and they were let in.

What rules ...? How can you legislate against a pilot having a heart attack? How common are they amongst flight crew?

When I was on a plane a few weeks ago (OK, it was a Boeing 747) i was sat on the very first row just behind the cockpit door and there was a little keypad on it which one presumes has a combination to open the door in case of an emergency?

However throughout the flight, if anyone wanted to get into the cockpit they had to show their face to the camera and they were let in.

Pilots have a code to open the door, but it can be overridden by those inside if they deliberately choose to block access.

What rules ...? How can you legislate against a pilot having a heart attack? How common are they amongst flight crew?

There's supposed to be two crew in the cockpit,if a pilot goes out,somebody else goes in,so if the remaining pilot is incapacitated,the other can open the door or raise the alarm...........looks like another case of putting lives in danger by not following the rules..........this is what can happen when you put your safety in the hands of somebody else and they let you down.I won't fly and haven't done for years,there's too much of this going on for me to trust these companies with my safety.

There's supposed to be two crew in the cockpit,if a pilot goes out,somebody else goes in,so if the remaining pilot is incapacitated,the other can open the door or raise the alarm...........looks like another case of putting lives in danger by not following the rules..........this is what can happen when you put your safety in the hands of somebody else and they let you down.I won't fly and haven't done for years,there's too much of this going on for me to trust these companies with my safety.

Do you travel by car?

Fair enough if you are prepared to limit your travel options. if I were travelling between Spain and Germany, I'd certainly pick flying over driving from a safety point of view. I don't know about rail links.

Pilots have a code to open the door, but it can be overridden by those inside if they deliberately choose to block access.

Well that looks like that has happened here then, assuming the override didnt suffer a technical hitch. Maybe its the reason why the pilots havent been named yet.

Who's to say that the person going in doesn't have bad intentions..?

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 11:20 ----------

Well that looks like that has happened here then, assuming the override didnt suffer a technical hitch. Maybe its the reason why the pilots havent been named yet.

All pure speculation at the moment.........

Do you travel by car?

No,I go by bus or train.

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 11:28 ----------

OK then,that's an even more good reason for not travelling by air...........you can't trust any of them.

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 11:20 ----------

All pure speculation at the moment.........

I would reckon that anyone on a flight deck could cause an aircraft to crash if they chose to. Not necessarily from cruising altitude, but soon after take off or just before landing where there is minimal time for anyone else to react.

Of course, we don't know what happened in this case, other than that many people are dead.