Plane, 150 on board crashes in southern France

There is no relationship between depression and desire to murder people. It is just a desperate and misplaces grasping for meaning in the face of an overwhelming feeling of impotence, which I can understand - but this proposal amounts to a witch hunt. It is exactly like saying ban Germans from becoming pilots because Germans may want to murder people. It is a way to feel better because you have done "something", when you haven't actually improved safety at all. It is a rush for an easy scapegoat.

---------- Post added 27-03-2015 at 13:42 ----------

wasn't meant to be :suspect:

Ok lets ignore the Daily Mail and think practically. What can we do to prevent this from happening again?

Careful what you say on here though. All the lefties are going mad about the reporting of this event in the newspapers.

What do people expect. Newspapers to keep quiet and not report things.

Mind is saying we should complain about reporting of it.

"Lefties"? it doesn't take long does it.:rolleyes: Since when has a rag become a 'Newspaper'? They all look like bad B movie posters. Hundred and Fifty die. Woman shows off her tits.

They're not going "mad" about the reporting, their commenting about the type of reporting.

Ok lets ignore the Daily Mail and think practically. What can we do to prevent this from happening again?

some airlines are implementing a change that if one of the two pilots requires to leave the cockpit for any reason, they are replaced with a member of cabin crew so that there is always 2 people in the cockpit That scenario might appear to maintain the security of the cockpit however, if that individual has not been screened with the same psychology tests as the others then the system is breached. All it takes is one unstable individual with bad intentions.

but I'm afraid sometimes bizarre things happen and in life it is impossible to plan and mitigate every possible circumstance under the sun? In the end we all die, but very very very few die in plane crashes.

Not a lot really. If the pilot wants to crash the plane I think there is little that can be done to prevent this from happening.

I would think it possible to introduce some kind of fail safe which would prevent such a crash.

Having said that, if someone decides they want to kill lots of people it is very difficult to stop them, how many people could a suicidal lorry driver kill, my guess would be hundreds.

Thankfully this kind of incident is very rare and when people commit suicide they usually do it alone.

You're 10 seconds away from landing at Heathrow Airport, suicidal pilot decides to make a last second sudden manoeuvre and ditch the aircraft into Hatton Cross bus station, I'm not sure what could be done to prevent this from happening should a pilot want to do this.

You're 10 seconds away from landing at Heathrow Airport, suicidal pilot decides to make a last second sudden manoeuvre and ditch the aircraft into Hatton Cross bus station, I'm not sure what could be done to prevent this from happening should a pilot want to do this.

An automated system that would prevent such a maneuver, I think it should be possible to program a computer to take over if a pilot appears to be doing something irrational.

I think this might make some people change their opinions on this.

Would you fly on a plane with no pilot? As the first passenger jet with no one at the controls roars over Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2325263/Would-fly-plane-pilot-As-passenger-jet-controls-roars-Britain-passengers-soon-face-worrying-dilemma.html#ixzz3VfzLjEbH

An automated system that would prevent such a maneuver, I think it should be possible to program a computer to take over if a pilot appears to be doing something irrational.

There have been automated systems that flew aircraft into the ground a few times though, despite the pilots trying to make them stay airbourne...

There have been automated systems that flew aircraft into the ground a few times though, despite the pilots trying to make them stay airbourne...

I don't particularly like flying, and not because of the perceived dangers but hours spent on my backside wasted. Turn them over to computers and I'd be lost as a customer. I like computers but only when my butt is firmly planted on terra.

I think this might make some people change their opinions on this.

Watch some air crash investigations. There are over 100 and I've seen most of them/ all. You'll see countless different situations when pilots save planes/ or fight to save planes when the computer does something irrational due to a string of other events.

Bold: Yeah, try programming this for any scenario. Isn't possible.

Would you fly on a plane with no pilot?

No. Not a chance.