Turning off routers

lentenrose61

While I can understand why you really have no need to. The chances of it actually catching fire are really rather small.

And there you have it for me,a chance of a fire is good enough for me to switch it of.Money does not come into it where safety is concerned,for me.

Hi All

Thank you for your feedback. It is not the charge of leaving the router on it is the fire risk. I have been leaving it on now 24/7. If I am a way from home for a very long lengthy time ie holidays I will turn it off.

I have had 2 power packs blow in recent years. One on a monitor and one on an external hard drive. The one for the monitor went with a loud pop and blew sparks out from the socket where the mains cable plugged in. It left a few scorch marks on some papers on my desk.

I turn all my transformer packs off at night. It requires one click. Phoning the fire brigade requires more effort than that.

And there you have it for me,a chance of a fire is good enough for me to switch it of.Money does not come into it where safety is concerned,for me.

You turn the entire house off at the consumer unit then, every time you leave the house or go to bed?

Seriously - switching the router on and off is going to stress the power supply more and may even increase the chance of a fire as opposed to leaving it on all the time.

You turn the entire house off at the consumer unit then, every time you leave the house or go to bed?

Seriously - switching the router on and off is going to stress the power supply more and may even increase the chance of a fire as opposed to leaving it on all the time.

Would you recommend leaving Christmas tree lights on when you go out or go to bed?

One in seven homes contain a faulty electric appliance:- if the following article is to be believed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11226373/Faulty-appliances-put-one-in-seven-homes-at-risk-of-fire.html

Faulty doesn't mean it'll catch fire. My last block of flats had 69 apartments. Not once in 4 years did we ever have a fire alarm. Current block has 30+, not once in a year have I seen a fire engine.

And of course offices have hundreds of PCs, laptops and monitors, routers and other network hardware that are at best put into stand-by at night. All the power is left on, the power bricks are still connected, but we don't have an epidemic of office buildings burning down.