Running for exercise is dangerous

So you lived in the country, the bits with all the fields, footpaths, bridleways etc, etc - but the only route available is on the road.... right. :hihi:

No point debating with you, clearly you know more about where I lived than I do :roll:

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 13:48 ----------

I also run, and will be running this years half marathon.

I run on country roads myself from time to time.

And I get out of the way of cars when they come. Because I know there are plenty of other, safer places for me to run.

I don't get in their way because I know that that is where they have to drive.

I'm not arrogant.

Amen :)

Like you, I am not arrogant and do not have a death wish, so I too used to step aside of vehicles to let them safely pass.

This can lead to the future of driverless cars dilemma too. What do you program driverless cars to do, avoid the runner on the road and crash into the oncoming truck killing yourself - or miss the truck but killing the runner in the process?

Theoretically by bringing this issue to point, the runners could be advised not to run on roads endangering themselves and others and avoid possible accidents like these in the first place.

I'm all in favour of freedom of choice, very much so;

But will you explain what happens when one person's 'freedom' impinges upon another's?

I think other's might find your response to that question interesting too.

for example.. Who gets priority? ....and how do you decide?

My freedom to run on the road does not impede someone's freedom to drive a motor vehicle on the same stretch of the road. The road is there for all.

As for priority, the law decides, surely?

This can lead to the future of driverless cars dilemma too. What do you program driverless cars to do, avoid the runner on the road and crash into the oncoming truck killing yourself - or miss the truck but killing the runner in the process?

Theoretically by bringing this issue to point, the runners could be advised not to run on roads endangering themselves and others and avoid possible accidents like these in the first place.

There is a third option - slow down and pass when safe.

As I said - arrogant. "I can run anywhere I like. But the most disruption I will cause is if I run on a road. But I don't care. Because I can. So I will. Because I'm arrogant. "

Roads are public property for everyone to use. To expect runners to go somewhere else for you convenience is the height of selfishness.

You program them to brake so they don't collide with the runner. It's telling that it didn't occur to you that braking would be an option.

Either way I think they have a death wish, even if they won't admit it, and I agree they also appear to have very little regard for the group of road users that contribute most to their upkeep.

Where does this sort of idiocy come from?

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:03 ----------

So you lived in the country, the bits with all the fields, footpaths, bridleways etc, etc - but the only route available is on the road.... right. :hihi:

In the mud, I always enjoy running in the mud. :roll:

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:04 ----------

Exactly that, not your own made up interpretation that I said "runner held me up" which isn't what happened, nor what I said.

So is this something you've just imagined, rather than actually observed in the 1st person?

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:05 ----------

I also run, and will be running this years half marathon.

I run on country roads myself from time to time.

And I get out of the way of cars when they come.

You do what, throw yourself over a wall or hedge? Teleport?

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:05 ----------

I'm all in favour of freedom of choice, very much so;

But will you explain what happens when one person's 'freedom' impinges upon another's?

I think other's might find your response to that question interesting too.

for example.. Who gets priority? ....and how do you decide?

Pedestrians in the road get priority, you decide quite simply by minimising harm.

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 14:06 ----------

Drive safely in the first place?

Roads are public property for everyone to use. To expect runners to go somewhere else for you convenience is the height of selfishness.

I don't expect them to go elsewhere. As I said above, I run on country lanes myself.

But I step aside when approached. As should all runners.

I don't have this inconsiderate notion that everyone else going about their business should be affected by me moving slower.

That's arrogant, inconsiderate and selfish.

So is this something you've just imagined, rather than actually observed in the 1st person?

I have observed this, I have not been held up myself. - That clear enough yet!? :loopy:

Drive safely in the first place?

In a driverless car!?

Even driverless cars can't predict what's around a blind corner (yet), and before you attempt yet another comeback - I doubt any of us approach a blind corner at a speed slow enough to be expecting a runner on the road in front of us...