Running. Why do they do it?

I took up running once....It's 2 minutes of my life I'll never be able to reclaim! :(

That's probably what inspired the thread. If you're unfit initially it will be painful if not uncomfortable. You need the resilience or dedication to know or understand it's only temporary generally. The quit mentality for some I guess can be very overwhelming.

I took these from runningbug but these are the good reasons.

Makes you happy

No matter how stressed you feel, a run will make you feel better. Even a short run can lift your mood and help you cope better with stress and anxiety.

Strengthens your joints

Despite how often non-runners like to tell us running is bad for our knees, pounding the pavements actually increases bone mass, improves your knee health, lower your risk of osteoarthritis.

You get to play with gadgets

Running longer distances is the perfect excuse to buy more awesome toys and gadgets. You know, the essentials like good headphones, the new GPS running watch for distance and speed, and a HR monitor of course.

You get to eat more

While long runs don't quite give you free reign of the fridge it's simple maths that the more you run the more calories you need to keep you going so find out what treat your run has earned you here.

Increases mental motivation

Not only does running help increase brain function but running long distance is also great for improve your mental motivation. If you need a little extra boost here's how to how to keep running when you want to stop.

Keeps your mind working

Running helps defeat age-related mental decline such as memory loss and difficulty problem solving. You'll also feel an increase in concentration and organisational skills. Mental and physical benefits: win win.

I took these from runningbug but these are the good reasons.

Despite how often non-runners like to tell us running is bad for our knees, pounding the pavements actually increases bone mass, improves your knee health, lower your risk of osteoarthritis.

Tell that to someone who was very sporty in their youth (me), who's now got arthritis, and just had a total knee replacement (me)....It's nonsense.

Tell that to someone who was very sporty in their youth (me), who's now got arthritis, and just had a total knee replacement (me)....It's nonsense.

I assume you weren't so good in maths, particularly the stats section.

Lowers the risk of osteoarthritis doesn't mean that no one who runs ever suffers. Your anecdote does not counter the general fact that it lowers the risk.

I assume you weren't so good in maths, particularly the stats section.

Lowers the risk of osteoarthritis doesn't mean that no one who runs ever suffers. Your anecdote does not counter the general fact that it lowers the risk.

All I know, is the effects upon me....

How much lower is lower. Lower than what?....Where's the maths there?

I didn't notice any numbers in the quote....

Here's an interesting article.

https://www.mylifestages.org/health/knees/system2_knees.page

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 10:32 ----------

All I know, is the effects upon me....

How much lower is lower. Lower than what?....Where's the maths there?

I didn't notice any numbers in the quote....

Here's an interesting article.

https://www.mylifestages.org/health/knees/system2_knees.page

And another one:

https://www.mylifestages.org/health/knees/runners_knee.page

Here are some real numbers

After collecting all the data, the researchers reported that runners, regardless of the age when they ran, had a lower prevalence of knee pain, ROA and SOA than non-runners. For people who had run at any time in their lives, 22.8 percent had signs of knee OA compared to 29.8 percent of non-runners. People with the lowest BMI scores were the most likely to report being habitual runners.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 10:36 ----------

And some more vague 'running is good for you'

http://www.livescience.com/36241-5-experts-answer-running-bad-knees.html

Note that your first link does NOT suggest that people shouldn't run.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 10:38 ----------

A reduction from 29.8% to 22.8%, that's reducing the risk of OA by 25%.

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 10:39 ----------

I'm not sure what the point of this one is. Nobody has claimed that running can't cause damage. Particularly if you've over done it.

The point is that it is better than not running, statistically. It reduces the risk of developing OA.