Looking for an old book. Is it in your collection perhaps?

I am hunting for a copy of "A history of the manor and Parish of Wadsley" by Rev.H. Kirk-Smith, published 1955 I believe. It is relevant to my family, and mentions a couple of them. I would very much like to track a copy down.

does anyone have a copy they might be prepared to sell please?

Hi hallyth - here is a link to the relevant page on the abebooks site. The price of £16 is about right (though the postage charge of £5.65 seem a little high for a 52-page booklet weighing about 100 grams).

I have a copy of the booklet which you are welcome to borrow if you just need to read it. In fact I could perhaps part with it as (despite my own Wadsley roots!) I rarely need it for reference nowadays.

Dr Kirk-Smith also wrote a follow-up booklet of similar size "A History of Wadsley 1800-1957" in which (to quote from the introductory notes) he "attempted to interpret in a popular form the spirit of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and so give some insight into the nature and life of the village". I have both booklets.

Thanks all, I think I have secured a copy via abebooks now...I got the £2 ish one! I would be interested to read the other

booklet he wrote too though. My great great uncle contributed to the book, as I found out on finding his handwritten reflections of wadsley, arthur crownshaw, mentioned in the book. His notebook had a letter from the Rev taped inside, thanking him for the loan of his notebook. I had to find a copy of the Rev's book then!

Edited by hallyth
fat fingers!