Uk wages so heavily taxed..employer confidence low

Anyone else finding the cost of living out of sync with wages and taxation?

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 12:51 ----------

I think we are having to work longer and harder to reach our goals. Certainly find this to be the case.

Anyone else finding the cost of living out of sync with wages and taxation?

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 12:51 ----------

I think we are having to work longer and harder to reach our goals. Certainly find this to be the case.

Like most others the consequence of the economic climate my goals have changed. But I'm more realistic and less striving for things. And I'm fortunate in that I don't have children, so I only have myself to think about. One advantage of the downturn, is that politicians and the press talk less about 'aspiration', thankfully.

Having said that, I do get annoyed with politicians ignoring single people on low incomes - it's like we don't exist! For them the only people that exist are 'hard working families', or 'scroungers'. The reality is a lot more nuanced.

I did but then I worked up and got another job that paid more.

Now I am more comfortable. It's called life.

Compared to 20 years ago the so called gap between cost of living and wages is piffle.

Im not on a low income.

Comparable jobs are paying less. Its not about 'working up', its about the relative cost of living to wages.

Standard of life has gone down.

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 14:44 ----------

I think the standard of living was higher in 1995.

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 14:47 ----------

Like most others the consequence of the economic climate my goals have changed. But I'm more realistic and less striving for things. And I'm fortunate in that I don't have children, so I only have myself to think about. One advantage of the downturn, is that politicians and the press talk less about 'aspiration', thankfully.

Having said that, I do get annoyed with politicians ignoring single people on low incomes - it's like we don't exist! For them the only people that exist are 'hard working families', or 'scroungers'. The reality is a lot more nuanced.

Who trusts politicians anyway. All you can do is vote right, look out for your self and your family.

If that means working two jobs or three...but really we should be better off.

Something fundementally wrong.

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 14:49 ----------

Lots got slapped in 2008...its not recovered.

We are missing 20%. I dont care how many jobs are created

Do people work two jobs anymore (apart from mps??) ?? I thought tax credits did away with that.

I do..Its about standard of living.

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 15:02 ----------

Certain needs have to be met. Wages are cut to the bone and the cost of living keeps rising.

Do people work two jobs anymore (apart from mps??) ?? I thought tax credits did away with that.

For most of the last 15 years I've worked 2 jobs. Not out of choice, but more necessity. I cannot claim tax credits as I'm just over the threshold, and don't have any children. :mad:

For most of the last 15 years I've worked 2 jobs. Not out of choice, but more necessity. I cannot claim tax credits as I'm just over the threshold, and don't have any children. :mad:

I think if you have kids the threshold goes up quite a bit. Would a drop in hours send you over the threshold and get you more money in tax credits? When I had a second job the tax rate was way higher to the point is you wonder whether it's worth it.

Its a typical scenario.

Put it this way pal. If energy goes up 10%. Rent goes up 10%. Food and travel goes up...but wages stay same..and employers are unified in that wage range.

The only outcome is to work more hours.

Standard of living is going down..

Its a typical scenario.

Put it this way pal. If energy goes up 10%. Rent goes up 10%. Food and travel goes up...but wages stay same..and employers are unified in that wage range.

The only outcome is to work more hours.

Standard of living is going down..

Indeed...unfortunately my health dictates that I cannot work longer hours. I wished I worked in a better paying profession :(

Still I know that I'm better off in some ways, than a lot of people...Just galling to think things could've been so much better, had I known then what I know now.