Uk wages so heavily taxed..employer confidence low

Its a typical scenario.

Put it this way pal. If energy goes up 10%. Rent goes up 10%. Food and travel goes up...but wages stay same..and employers are unified in that wage range.

The only outcome is to work more hours.

Standard of living is going down..

I remember buying a computer for £1500 back in the 90s. Now they are £300.

Things go up but many things have come down. Shopping costs have certainly come down in the wake of Lidl and Aldi.

Standard of living is what you make it.

In the next few years i think a lot will say, sod paying taxes and working myself to death and blow this joint..for a life in the sun on less money..why should i pay for mis-management of the govt finances and get told i can retire at 70 for the priveledge ?

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 15:17 ----------

I remember buying a computer for £1500 back in the 90s. Now they are £300.

Things go up but many things have come down. Shopping costs have certainly come down in the wake of Lidl and Aldi.

Standard of living is what you make it.

See above..note i didnt say 'computer' or wide screen TV

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 15:18 ----------

Aldi was around in the 1990s..even thats gone up.

I think if you have kids the threshold goes up quite a bit. Would a drop in hours send you over the threshold and get you more money in tax credits? When I had a second job the tax rate was way higher to the point is you wonder whether it's worth it.

I know what you mean about paying a high rate of tax on the second job, just a shame that most who do second jobs are those who have to out of necessity.

Though I will keep an eye out on the tax credit situation....I do find it annoying that even those with kids on quite high incomes still get tax credits, yet those without in low paid jobs get none :mad:

Every man, woman and child needs shelter, food and fuel. If youre working hard or in a decent job you should also expect to buy decent clothes, travel and save a bit.

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 15:25 ----------

I know what you mean about paying a high rate of tax on the second job, just a shame that most who do second jobs are those who have to out of necessity.

Though I will keep an eye out on the tax credit situation....I do find it annoying that even those with kids on quite high incomes still get tax credits, yet those without in low paid jobs get none :mad:

HMRC are a royal pain to deal with..the system is too complex for those who just want to get on

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 15:35 ----------

http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/entry/the-real-britain-index-a-more-accurate-measure-of-living-standards

I'd vote for anyone who would make a second job either tax free or a vastly reduced tax rate (with the obvious caveats - you can't say your primary job is behind the bar at the dog and duck whilst your second job is chairman of ICI).

So there are two that have two jobs but no tax credits. Is there anyone who claims tax credits and has a second job?

The link seems to suggest the poorest 10% hit the hardest.

---------- Post added 28-03-2015 at 15:41 ----------

I'd vote for anyone who would make a second job either tax free or a vastly reduced tax rate (with the obvious caveats - you can't say your primary job is behind the bar at the dog and duck whilst your second job is chairman of ICI).

So there are two that have two jobs but no tax credits. Is there anyone who claims tax credits and has a second job?

Working and being self employed is a better scenario than having 2 employers. You can get away with a lot more tax wise.

Who exactly? I certainly don't get tax credits and I have three children and a wife who works part time. I also don't consider myself as having a high income. The only benefit that we are entitled to is Child Benefit.

Unless of course your idea of a high income is different to mine.

Who exactly? I certainly don't get tax credits and I have three children and a wife who works part time. I also don't consider myself as having a high income. The only benefit that we are entitled to is Child Benefit.

Unless of course your idea of a high income is different to mine.

You might be surprised on what you can get.

You might be surprised on what you can get.

I know I can't get anything, nor do I need to. Suggesting that people on high incomes get benefits just sounds like sour grapes, unless these people are deliberately claiming fraudulently.