Accident outside Primark 28/03/15

There was a post about this a while ago where an oap died because she was run over by a bus. The bus driver got punished for it but the OAP wasnt crossing at the crossing. People need to use the crossing their its there for a reason.

The section of pavement needs railing off from the road to force people to go to the crossing.

Very dangerous there because it's difficult to judge the speed of the vehicles coming up the incline.

Maybe its time cyclists were made to take a test before being allowed on the roads. cyclists are totally unregulated and untrained at present ,yet are allowed to use the roads alongside trained ,tested and licensed motorists . This is wrong on every level.

No- because that would cut the numbers of cyclists down still further, leading to roads being even less safe to cycle on.

However- spending some serious time cycling on the roads should be a requirement for any (able bodied) driver to get their license. Then they all drivers would appreciate exactly how vulnerable cyclists are and how different a manouver that seems innocuous inside a car, can be to a cyclist outside the car.

No- because that would cut the numbers of cyclists down still further, leading to roads being even less safe to cycle on.

However- spending some serious time cycling on the roads should be a requirement for any (able bodied) driver to get their license. Then they all drivers would appreciate exactly how vulnerable cyclists are and how different a manouver that seems innocuous inside a car, can be to a cyclist outside the car.

So drivers should be made to cycle as part of their driving test but cyclists should remain totally unregulated and unlicensed ?

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 00:00 ----------

Why people stop cycling if they were made to pass a test ? Are you saying cyclists wouldnt be capable of passing a test before being allowed on the roads, ?

So drivers should be made to cycle as part of their driving test but cyclists should remain totally unregulated and unlicensed ?

Yes. Because to impose testing on cyclists would reduce their numbers and thus make the roads even more dangerous to cyclists. Bear in mind though, that most cyclists already have driving licenses anyway.

Why people stop cycling if they were made to pass a test ?

No, I'm not saying that people would stop cycling if made to take a test- real world statistics are saying that- just as compulsory helmet use has led to lower cycling numbers in every country where it's been imposed (and hence led to an increase in cycling injuries, due to the fact that less cyclists on the roads=more danger).

Don't worry about Penistone 999. He is a cyclist hating idiot who drives to intentionally bother and pester cyclist.

He will lose his license sooner than a cyclist will ever need one.

Perhaps it is time to reconsider the wisdom of allowing the use of pedal cycles on busy roads.

There's always someone with a pearl of wisdom like this.

Perhaps it's time you considered keeping your opinions to yourself on a thread talking about someone who's been hurt.

There's always someone with a pearl of wisdom like this.

Perhaps it's time you considered keeping your opinions to yourself on a thread talking about someone who's been hurt.

I must be honest though and a section like that in front of primark and cyclist would not go together in a place like Amsterdam. It would be considered dangerous, they would either need each their own lane or a different route.

No ones blaming cyclists youre just assuming stuff and seeing only what you want to.

Really? You said cyclists were often at fault. The discussion has again turned towards blaming cyclists for not having taken a test! I'm not assuming anything. Im reading posts on this thread! Im clever like that... :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 09:10 ----------

I must be honest though and a section like that in front of primark and cyclist would not go together in a place like Amsterdam. It would be considered dangerous, they would either need each their own lane or a different route.

I completely agree with this. There is not enough room there to allow buses and cyclists, particularly when you throw pedestrians into the mix.

Does anyone have any actual news about the victim here? I really hope he is not to badly injured :(

Sheffield is the most dangerous city I have ever cycled in, even more dangerous than Toronto because there are cycle hating people driving in sheffield to try to push cyclist of the road.

It is funny that many UK cyclist go out there with a helmet camera for legal protection. In holland where many more people cycle around they rarely use them, most motorist there are also cyclist.

Really? You said cyclists were often at fault. The discussion has again turned towards blaming cyclists for not having taken a test! I'm not assuming anything. Im reading posts on this thread! Im clever like that... :rolleyes:

Clever enough to start an argument in an empty room!

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 12:25 ----------

Sheffield is the most dangerous city I have ever cycled in, even more dangerous than Toronto because there are cycle hating people driving in sheffield to try to push cyclist of the road.

Liar :)

Actually ill go a little further. Bare faced liar :)

I will be happy to take that back though just as long as you show me this video you speak of and also show me where someone has been dealt with in Sheffield for such an act of dangerous driving.

Edited by Timeh