What Would Happen If Loads Refused To Pay Council Tax

When the poll tax was introduced (instead of rates and before council tax), every individual over 18 (assuming they were not in education etc) had to pay their share. There was a great element of fairness. All services are available to everyone, be it libraries, waste collection, recycle centres, vermin control, the emergency services, street lighting/cleaning etc. We all paid the same and we all had access to use all the services.

Just like going in to the shop to buy a loaf of bread, it didn`t matter whether someone had a house in a nice area or a low cost area, the loaf of bread or the poll tax would cost the same for each individual.

Now, we still have the same access to the same services as each other, but those in the highest band are paying around 3x more than those in the lowest band.

If someone has a home in a nice area they are penalised. They have exactly the same access to public service as someone living in a low cost area but pay much more tax to the council. How can that system ever be considered fair.

who does then

The police force and fire service, neither of which are part of the council.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 12:46 ----------

Veolia .......... private profit making company took over the running of the dump it sites from the council and made a complete mess of it. They then subbed it out to another company ( the green co ) ,who have made an even bigger balls up of the job.

Just one example

Who gave them the contract and can I choose not to pay for them?

Loads do - just the council doesn't bother to try and collect it.

£39M is owed

Collection rates are below 94%

The rest of us subsidise the council's lack of diligence in collection!

Probably for the best. The less things this council tries to tackle the less they can balls up.

Are you really that thick? It will waste our money for all the extra work and postage to sent people check back, they will have to raise more on council tax and everyone will end up paying more because of dumb people

Absolutely correct ... if people didn't pay their council tax, who do they think would provide community utlities and provide law and order. The whole infrastructure of the city would collapse, maybe that's what the lefties want to happen?

I'm not against paying council tax if it's use is justified, paying a man who to quote many observers during the recent Rotherham abuse scandal was "totally out of his depth" is pure folly.

You dont have a choice unless you become a freeman on the land e.g. unemployable loafer.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 12:54 ----------

Absolutely correct ... if people didn't pay their council tax, who do they think would provide community utlities and provide law and order. The whole infrastructure of the city would collapse, maybe that's what the lefties want to happen?

Its the right who want a small government, not left.

There are a few posts on this thread in respect of police/fire service, and whether the council funds these.

I can say (reading from my council tax bill Mar 2015) the following:

S,Yorks fire & Cd authority £58.95

S,Yorks Police Comm £131.70

Hope that helps to clarify some things.

A third of your council tax goes towards pensions,so not only have you helped keep them in a job, but you are now helping keep them in retirement!

A third of my council tax does not go towards pensions.

My Council Tax breakdown does not show this. I believe that every household gets the same notification.

Please indicate your source for such an irrational statement.

Most present and former council workers are/were employed at below the national average wage.

Since the seventies they and their employer contributed to the South Yorkshire scheme as they would in any large organization.

When the poll tax was introduced (instead of rates and before council tax), every individual over 18 (assuming they were not in education etc) had to pay their share. There was a great element of fairness. All services are available to everyone, be it libraries, waste collection, recycle centres, vermin control, the emergency services, street lighting/cleaning etc. We all paid the same and we all had access to use all the services.

Just like going in to the shop to buy a loaf of bread, it didn`t matter whether someone had a house in a nice area or a low cost area, the loaf of bread or the poll tax would cost the same for each individual.

Now, we still have the same access to the same services as each other, but those in the highest band are paying around 3x more than those in the lowest band.

If someone has a home in a nice area they are penalised. They have exactly the same access to public service as someone living in a low cost area but pay much more tax to the council. How can that system ever be considered fair.

Nothings perfect but the poll tax was largely a good idea!

Trouble was Margaret thatchers government introduced it so you might as well forget it,especially round these parts.

Also there are many that think if you have more than me ....that's not fair.Suprising how many Labour voters think along those lines!

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 13:06 ----------

A third of my council tax does not go towards pensions.

My Council Tax breakdown does not show this. I believe that every household gets the same notification.

Please indicate your source for such an irrational statement.

Most present and former council workers are/were employed at below the national average wage.

Since the seventies they and their employer contributed to the South Yorkshire scheme as they would in any large organization.

.........Sheffield Telegraph!....I should add that the Daily mail stated the figure was 25%............the Telegraph also stated that the figure in Scotland was 50% of council tax on gold plated pensions! so who knows the correct figure. Edited by mossdog

The police force and fire service, neither of which are part of the council.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 12:46 ----------

That didn't answer the question, the police and fire services don't get money out of fresh air.

I always thought the council provided most of the funding for these services so i'd say they provide these services, although the council will have little influence on the services themselves

The council don't provide our policing and fire service.

This thread concerns council tax, not who ultimately supplies the service. The council don't empty our dustbins. From the 2015/ 16 council budget, the fire service element from your council tax is as follows:

Band A: 44.21 B: 51.58 c: 58.95 D: 66.32

E: 81.06 F: 95.80 G: 110.53 H: 132.64