What Would Happen If Loads Refused To Pay Council Tax

Well!..............correct me if I am wrong,but isn't it also lots of the the non wealthy tax dodging parasites that aren't paying their fair share of tax also?

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars,seems to be conveniently forgotten by some on both sides of the coin.

Correct me if I am wrong but was it you who said that a third of the council tax went in paying for pensions?

Guest sibon
Correct me if I am wrong but was it you who said that a third of the council tax went in paying for pensions?

And 25%. And 50% in Scotland.

Maybe the council should provide free calculators to every household.

Errr!............just Google to see how much council tax goes in pensions, ....then have another go.

Maybe you should read this thread, I pasted the results of a FOI request at 13:41 today, if my maths are correct it works out at 3.6% others have said about 4%

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 16:37 ----------

One from Scotland.

"In 2008/09, the last full financial year, the Council made

employer’s contributions of £15.630m to the Falkirk Council Pension

Fund. In that period some 18.7% of council spending was financed by

council tax, the remainder being government grant. If this % is

applied to the total employer’s contribution an amount of £2.922m

results. This is equivalent to around 4.9% of council tax income.

Council tax is to help meet the cost of services delivered in the

Falkirk area and therefore there is no contribution to the European

Union.

Regards Finance Services Falkirk Council"

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_taxpensions

Not all council income is council tax - less than 20% - it is pooled with other income - the largest of which is funding from central government.

It may be truthful to say spending on pensions is the equlvalent of 30% of council tax collected - but you could equally say all council tax is spent on housing benefit or two thirds of council tax is spent on roads and transport.

Still - only about 4% of SCC spend is on pensions.

Edited by Longcol

Not all council income is council tax - less than 20% - it is pooled with other income - the largest of which is funding from central government.

It may be truthful to say spending on pensions is the equlvalent of 30% of council tax collected - but you could equally say all council tax is spent on housing benefit or two thirds of council tax is spent on roads and transport.

Still - only about 4% of SCC spend is on pensions.

......"It may be truthful to say spending on pensions is the equlvalent of 30% of council tax collected"

I think that's all I meant to say anyway, .........but thanks for explaining it!

Sheffield council no longer accept cheques for council tax. ,they just return them to you .mind you how much would it cost them to return if everyone did send payments by cheque .

Well they are good at wasting money on mail, I had two identical letters both dated the same and arrived on the same day. Plus had three reminders over three months for something that had been paid each month.

If the Barclay Brothers, the owners of the Telegraph paid tax it may even help the country. Do a search on them, you may find out more, they will not have to worry about their pension. http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2012/dec/17/barclay-brothers-bbc