Shortchanged at stores..

A certain local / national store (green) is always not freely giving receipts and short changing...its all very 'un-cooperative'.

I've caught them in the act once or twice but last week I was in a rush and got caught out. I didn't notice until half way down the road and of course no receipt...

So last saturday I put a complaint in because the dude behind the counter had actually short changed me £5 from a £12 shop. At the time I could barely hear the ill-educated fellow and he gave me loads of change in bits and pieces...and they were closing, usually I'm more careful.

Still haven't heard back.

It happens in 2 of their stores, not giving receipts, very,very dodgy practice...anyone else found this?

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 09:47 ----------

Anyone know how to escalate this? do supermarkets have a trading standards body?

surely you should have checked yes its there fault but you have some onous and saying it hapens all the time is not correct really

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 11:03 ----------

They should get change right. Its the shops responsibility.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 10:24 ----------

It doesnt matter. If they want local business they are going to have to deal with unhappy customers...it doesnt look very good if employees are stealing money too.

typical arrogance you should check your change now accusing stealing money serious your allegations are paper weight

UPDATE: RESULT

A very lovely man, operations manager called 'gerry' called me twice today. He had been to both stores in question this morning.

The result was YES they had found the tills down on that day and YES in the incident in question, the transaction was short by £5!

He apologised profusely and said in these stores they will make sure they ALWAYS offer a receipt. They previously did not for environmental reasons. He will also review the complaints procedure.

The end result was he offered to meet me to discuss the short-change incidents in question, as I have further evidence (I don't think it is now necessary).

Additionally I have been offered my £5 back in cash..a £10 store card...and a bottle of chenin blanc.

Thanks to Gerry, who is a true pro and happy that my stores will now offer receipts.

CASE CLOSED

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 12:35 ----------

surely you should have checked yes its there fault but you have some onous and saying it hapens all the time is not correct really

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 11:03 ----------

typical arrogance you should check your change now accusing stealing money serious your allegations are paper weight

Actually the stores were at fault. See above.

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 12:36 ----------

They've lied to you as well- there's nothing in the data protection act that would prevent them giving you some information about what they decide to do about this. It's a very common lie and very usefull when companies want to fob complainants off, as, for some reason, people tend to give up when the data protection act is mentioned.

The ops manager seemed genuine...a very nice man by all accounts. And to come out to Sheffield on a Sunday, can't ask for much more.

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 12:38 ----------

As stated before, you need to check your change before you leave the store.

Civil action? How can it be proved that you were short change? You could have walked outside, spent 80p on a sausage roll, then come back in to claim you've been short changed by 80p. You've got too much time on your hands.

Chill, learn from your mistake, and move on..

You don't always have time and on this occasion the change was in bits...the point is you should as a customer always be confident the store is giving you the right change and not ripping you off.

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 12:40 ----------

To put in perspective this is a multi-million turnover operation, not some ten-bob corner store!

Go back- read the posts in question, try and get your brain booted up and working, then point out where anyone's suggested names be revealed. The answer the company gave was a fob-off, nothing to do with the data protection act.

not a nice way to address anyone is it onewheeldave?

not a nice way to address anyone is it onewheeldave?

I'm afraid that since onewheeldave found out he was autistic, he's become increasingly intolerant of having his time wasted by people failing to read what's actually been written and instead going on about their bizarre misinterpretations of what was written.

Especially annoying when they persist in twisting what I say to mean (in their eyes) what they want me to have said.

I do often remind people on here that I'm autistic, and that I therefore use language very literally (as, indeed, language is intended to be used), however, I'm then generally accused of 'playing a card' (incidently, not a reference to superhans post above), which presumably means I'm looking for sympathy (which I'm not).

So I'm resigned to having to spend around four times as long as should be necessary when posting, in an attempt to prevent/head off the inevitable strawmen/misinterpretations/misunderstandings that arise when some people can't be bothered to read a post properly.

As a result, onewheeldave can, on occasion, be a bit rude. He really doesn't like having his time wasted.

Edited by onewheeldave