Laptops Vs Full PC Computer

crookedspire

Either an HP Chromebook or HP Chromebox (both are portable) plus a Google Cloud enabled Printer such as an Epson WorkForce.

I have an HP Chromebook 14" and an Epson WorkForce WF-3520 and they work brilliantly together.

The Epson can be configured to scan items to email or Google Drive and to print from anywhere in the world from any Google Device and or be given a dedicated email address where it will print any attachments.

Cheapest option that won't need any looking after what so ever vs a Windows device that will require regular maintenance. Plus, if you lose or break your chrome device you just get a new one and sign in; everything is as it were before!

Plus, 100Gb free Cloud space for 2 years and only $1.99 a month after that.

I wouldn't go back to a Windows laptop ever! (except for work as I have no choice)

The only downside to a Chrome device is that it needs the internet to work and there's no local network file support (SMB) e.g. it won't browse another PC for files. Since I always have the internet and don't need to look at files on another PC it was by far the best option.

This is one of those issues that will get you a load of mixed advice, the best thing to do is to sit down, work out a budget and how you will use the device.

Portability of a laptop is a big pro for example, I use mine all over the house, but a BAD laptop (usually cheap) tends to be severely compromised with bad keyboards, annoying touchpads and slow performance/poor battery life.

Having a stationary machine has advantages in that you can have a much bigger screen and the ergonomics, once you set up the desk/chair appropriately, tends to be far superior, so if you expect to work with the computer for more than 2/3 hours a day I would unequivocally recommend a desktop.

If you are a light user an all-in-one can be good, but again, buy cheap and you will buy a compromise. We have a 1200£ Sony all-in-one that has lasted for 7 years and is still as chipper as when we bought it, all it gets used for is Word, watching HD videos (iPlayer and so on) and browsing, and it is good at that. If we'd bought a 600£ machine it would probably be dead already.

So it all depends on your needs, have a look at what your needs/options are and then tell us here what you are considering so we can give you advice on what to expect. But of course, that advice will be plural!

Either an HP Chromebook or HP Chromebox (both are portable) plus a Google Cloud enabled Printer such as an Epson WorkForce.

I have an HP Chromebook 14" and an Epson WorkForce WF-3520 and they work brilliantly together.

The Epson can be configured to scan items to email or Google Drive and to print from anywhere in the world from any Google Device and or be given a dedicated email address where it will print any attachments.

Cheapest option that won't need any looking after what so ever vs a Windows device that will require regular maintenance. Plus, if you lose or break your chrome device you just get a new one and sign in; everything is as it were before!

I wouldn't go back to a Windows laptop ever! (except for work as I have no choice)

The only downside to a Chrome device is that it needs the internet to work and there's no local network file support (SMB) e.g. it won't browse another PC for files. Since I always have the internet and don't need to look at files on another PC it was by far the best option.

In what way do windows laptops needs 'maintenance'?

And a laptop that only works if you have the internet is a crippled device. No use on a flight, no use abroad, no use if you don't have wifi wherever you are.

A device that needs internet connection to work is half a device..let me guess you have to work in 'the cloud'..excel etc and it costs every month..thin end of the wedge.

Sounds really annoying and one of the reasons i also dont use macs or any apple device for that matter.

Edited by ubermaus

A device that needs internet connection to work is half a device..let me guess you have to work in 'the cloud'..excel etc and it costs every month..thin end of the wedge.

Sounds really annoying and one of the reasons i also dont use macs or any apple device for that matter.

What does google and chromebooks have to do with Apple? With Apple you have the option of using the cloud, but you don't have to. My household is almost totally Apple based and I make no use of the cloud whatsoever.

Its not about the cloud...

proprietary software and peripherals...thats what stops me using apple. Instead of using a 99p micro usb data cable you have to buy a £25 apple charger, instead of a regular printer, its an over priced apple printer..

I have similar reservations with 'chrome' book. It could be slightly inaccurate as never used one..but anything branded like that must be a hook somewhere, Google are just as avaricious as apple in relieving punters from their money.

A laptop that only functions when connected to the internet? sounds suspiciously rubbish.

Chromebooks vs. Windows laptop

Chromebook and Windows laptop

Surfing the web

Web apps

check for both

Microsoft Office and other Windows programs

On a Chromebook, you can't install Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or any other part of the Microsoft Office suite.

Skype, iTunes, Photoshop, Quicken, and other essential programs

There are millions of programs that run on Windows. A Chromebook can't run any of them.

Desktop

A Chromebook "desktop" is only a background image. You can't put anything on it.

Use almost any printer

A Chromebook only works with Google Cloud Print-ready printers. Don’t have one? The only other way is to route your printing job through a real PC or a Mac.

PC games

You can’t install Call of Duty, Age of Empires, or any of your other favorite PC games on a Chromebook.

Watch popular movies and TV shows offline

Download a Hollywood movie or your favorite TV show and easily watch it offline? Not on a Chromebook.

Connect to most peripheral devices

Chromebooks can't connect directly to scanners or many other peripheral devices you might already have.

Choose where your documents go

On a Chromebook, most of your documents, pictures, videos and other files must be uploaded into the cloud. With a Windows PC, you choose where you want to put which files.

Edited by ubermaus

I agree with cyclone on the multi-purpose all-singing-all-dancing:

1. You normally only get 2 ink cartridges and if one colour runs out on the tri-colour (CMY) cartridge you will need to fork out for another one!

2. If you use a notebook for a prolonged length of time (by that using it for more than 3 hours a day) you could be asking for physical problems - you can't move the screen too far away from you (unless its a Surface Pro) or adjust the keyboard for the right angle (RSI)

PC's are more durable - and think of all that landfill from rotting Li-ion batteries!

(And yest I do have a netbook but that is for portability, browsing the net and downloading video footage when away from home but that is all).

You will get a lot better performance from a PC - 'grey' ones are better as you can upgrade - not so on the plethora of HP bricks that obscure potentially additional optical drives on the front of their boxes.

Edited by swarfendor43

I agree with cyclone on the multi-purpose all-singing-all-dancing:

1. You normally only get 2 ink cartridges and if one colour runs out on the tri-colour (CMY) cartridge you will need to fork out for another one!

As I said, you get what you pay for.

My multi-function has 6 cartridges, the same as Canon's normal inkjet printers.

Its not about the cloud...

proprietary software and peripherals...thats what stops me using apple. Instead of using a 99p micro usb data cable you have to buy a £25 apple charger, instead of a regular printer, its an over priced apple printer..

Total lies.

Go to any pound shop or bargain shop - buy a £1 charge cable for iPhone - it works just fine.

As for printers, you are just lying - you can use any usb or wireless printer, the same as with windows.