Laptops Vs Full PC Computer

crookedspire

I already stated they are actually MORE functional, NOT less.

And I stated the opposite. Welcome to the world of opinions.

Yes the scanner will be lower quality than a high-end scanner, but few people are willing to pay a premium for a scanner so would end up buying something worse in a stand alone. The printer on the other hand, its a big reason why I stick with HP. Printers with the same printing technology come out the same quality, the difference is their duty cycle, speed and running cost.

Even with a multi-function, if you scan via your PC and then print it from there, it will usually come out better quality than using the copy function. But the convenience of being able to scan to network, photocopy, e-mail or scan/print directly from your smartphone, more than outweighs the difference in most cases. Plus, you can use whichever is most appropriate for the job.

With a separate scanner/printer, you have no choice but to use the PC and take up a lot more desk space.

My scanner stands upright, so it doesn't take up all that much space, and the printer is smaller than most multi function devices. They also cost less between them than most multi function devices, yet they actually work well, unlike most multi function devices, which are a horrible compromise of failure and inconvenience.

My wife insisted on buying an HP multifunction monster a while ago. She found it so awkward to use that she's now replaced it with a canon scanner and another printer (still HP I think, but each to their own).

most multi function devices, which are a horrible compromise of failure and inconvenience.

Again. Opinion. My experience differs completely from yours. I've had no issues what-so-ever with mine and I've had it for about 3-4 years now. A Canon Pixma.

Inconvenience? How so? Seeing as that's the main reason for them. I have one device which does a good job of printing, scanning, is a photocopier even with PCs turned off, can print photos from the built in card reader if I ever wanted to.

Just because you've had bad experiences doesn't mean you should be telling everyone else they're crap and pointless. Point people at review sites and let them make up their own mind.

I haven't claimed it was anything other than opinion. I don't think we're going to find any objective facts to prove it either way. I can certainly find lots of expert reviews that agree with my opinion though.

Inconvenience in that they don't work well, and getting them to operate is a pain, and thus inconvenient. A single device, that does a single job well, reliably, simply, is far more convenient.

Just because you've had a good experience doesn't mean you should be telling everyone else that they're good and useful. Point people at a review site and let them make their own mind up. (See how that works for both of us...)

A single device, that does a single job well, reliably, simply, is far more convenient.

Except when that job suddenly is "make a photocopy of this twenty page document that was printed on A3 so cannot auto-feed into an A4 scanner" and the scanner is across the room, or in a different room entirely.

My multi-function is in my room, sometimes my mum needs to use it but she cannot use my PC for reasons I will not go into. Before I would have to do the scanning for her as her PC is upstairs. Now, she can come down and have each page scanned to her network drive in far less time, or just photocopied.

Yes its slightly more complicated as the menu system on the multifunction could be better designed, such as allowing shortcuts to common actions on the main screen. But even if I have to show her how to do it every once in a while, it still saves both of us time overall.

I'd also love to know how your upright scanner would handle books or other over-large items. They are hard enough as it is on a flat-bed.

Bottom line, generalising is not helpful as everyones situation is different.

Example, in reviews my AOI is rated as a very high cost per page which would seem unappealing.

However, I have had it nearly two years now and its reporting at least another 100 pages left on the starter toners. It would have made no sense to spend more on an efficient model for my usage pattern, I would have easily paid the difference in interest on the price of the better model.

On the other hand, an inkjet is almost impossible to keep good print quality if you do not use it often, the nozzles dry up. I have also seen the colour ink change colour due to ageing. Plus, the print quality is not as sharp due to bleeding in the paper, unless you buy more expensive paper, and more at risk of becoming illegible when used for postage labels that get wet.

Even casual photos can look better on a laser on cheap paper than inkjet, as you really need photo paper to get a good result. If its something I REALLY want in good quality, its cheaper to use an online service with far more expensive equipment.

Except when that job suddenly is "make a photocopy of this twenty page document that was printed on A3 so cannot auto-feed into an A4 scanner" and the scanner is across the room, or in a different room entirely.

Errr, yes. If I kept my scanner in another room, if most multi-functions did multi-feed, and if either device were capable of taking A3 (why would a home user by an A3 capable device)...

My multi-function is in my room, sometimes my mum needs to use it but she cannot use my PC for reasons I will not go into. Before I would have to do the scanning for her as her PC is upstairs. Now, she can come down and have each page scanned to her network drive in far less time, or just photocopied.

You have a scenario where you need a device that will operate without the PC. So you buy an appropriate device. Most people have no such need.

Yes its slightly more complicated as the menu system on the multifunction could be better designed, such as allowing shortcuts to common actions on the main screen. But even if I have to show her how to do it every once in a while, it still saves both of us time overall.

I'd also love to know how your upright scanner would handle books or other over-large items. They are hard enough as it is on a flat-bed.

It stores upright, it's a flat bed. It probably handles books better than a multi-function because it has a Z hinged cover.

Bottom line, generalising is not helpful as everyones situation is different.

Example, in reviews my AOI is rated as a very high cost per page which would seem unappealing.

However, I have had it nearly two years now and its reporting at least another 100 pages left on the starter toners. It would have made no sense to spend more on an efficient model for my usage pattern, I would have easily paid the difference in interest on the price of the better model.

On the other hand, an inkjet is almost impossible to keep good print quality if you do not use it often, the nozzles dry up. I have also seen the colour ink change colour due to ageing. Plus, the print quality is not as sharp due to bleeding in the paper, unless you buy more expensive paper, and more at risk of becoming illegible when used for postage labels that get wet.

Even casual photos can look better on a laser on cheap paper than inkjet, as you really need photo paper to get a good result. If its something I REALLY want in good quality, its cheaper to use an online service with far more expensive equipment.

The thing about the forum is, you only get opinions, and they are generally taken from peoples own experience. There may be situations where a multi-function is better for some reason. But they are still worse at actually scanning and printing, IMO, and having used several (and more standalones).

And like I said, I do not believe that applies to HP, especially their lasers, as they use identical technology to their standalone unit.

The model below my AIO is literally just the printer section without the scanner. Their beefier business grade units work the same, except some of those you can actually buy the scanner part as an add-on rather than having to buy it as a single moulded unit.

Yes the scanner is definitely lower quality than some standalone ones, but you can also find some that are much worse.

There is no "all AIO are bad, and standalone are good". You have to do the research and weigh up the cost and space requirements.

Edited by AlexAtkin