Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

Yes, but it's well too late now.

A vast number of the motoring public have been out and bought Diesel cars, they won't take too kindly having the tax ramped up on their new(ish) purchase.

The government long ago knew about particulate pollution, but instead chose to only identify cars by their CO2 emissions.

This lead to huge numbers of cars paying little to no VED, yet still chucking out plenty of other pollution.

I seem to remember driving around in a rather large engined gas guzzler in the past when the government decided to rack up the tax rate on that vehicle. I also remember driving a petrol engined car when The City of London decided to impose a cogestion charge should I seek to drive it into the zone. I fail to see how the current proposal is any different.

Don't most of the vehicles that deliver stock to city centres use diesel?

Most out of town shopping is as good if not better than the city centre anyway so this will just make it even harder for traders there when us dirty horrible diesel car owners avoid it.

Don't most of the vehicles that deliver stock to city centres use diesel?

Most out of town shopping is as good if not better than the city centre anyway so this will just make it even harder for traders there when us dirty horrible diesel car owners avoid it.

Isn't the idea in Sheffield that you should use public transport to visit the city?

I seem to remember driving around in a rather large engined gas guzzler in the past when the government decided to rack up the tax rate on that vehicle. I also remember driving a petrol engined car when The City of London decided to impose a cogestion charge should I seek to drive it into the zone. I fail to see how the current proposal is any different.

both are isolated and quite neice things.

The fact one of them was called the "Gas Guzzler Tax" was easy enough to understand.

but a blanket rise in tax on Diesel fuel is quite different, and will leave many people across the country quite angry.

The people of the UK have been under the impression Diesel cars were the way forward for quite some time, government incentives with low VED tax and being classed as 'economical' and good for the environment gave a massive surge in sales.

So much so that manufacturer development on petrol engines pretty much stalled for at least a decade, as everyone sought to make better diesel engines.

It's only very recently, and with companies like Ford that new and innovative petrol engines have come to the market.

Yet more anti car policies aimed at appeasing the tree huggers.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 18:45 ----------

Isn't the idea in Sheffield that you should use public transport to visit the city?

And look at how that bad thought out policy has killed the city centre.

Nope, it would have too much of a negative impact on businesses in Sheffield imo. Sheffield lacks the outer ring round that most other large cities have, meaning that for many who need to get from one side to the other - the only viable way is though the middle.

What's he on about? We have had 3 diesel Peugeot cars with 2 litre engines and all have registered WELL under the emissions limit on every test and the one we have now has gone through 5 while we've had it