Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

There are several reasons why company's like stobbats have more than one depot ,how big would one depot have to be to store all the units and trailers stobbats own? And another is continugincy ,if one depots say burnt down the company can still operate etc out of others

The one you saw may have been going to collect freight or might have been delivering to a tesco etc

---------- Post added 12-04-2017 at 15:21 ----------

Totally agree with above

"University educated" that accounts for the nonsense Rogets is spouting.

Essentially I meant Uber already have a large customer base. Millions of people use the app to request a ride so introducing any form of carpooling service is easier in those circumstances, whether that's carpooling taxies or non-taxies.

All the tech companies like Google, Lyft, Uber are in agreement that carpooling is the future of meeting our transportation needs and delivering environmental outcomes like reducing traffic congestion and emissions, and reducing the need for parking spaces.

Private car ownership will eventually become redundant. You'd think the car manufactures would be worried about this vision. They're actually onboard and heavily invested in that future because it will be national authorities and the tech brands buying up 100ks of these vehicles instead of individual customers.

Companies like Uber and Lyft feel they can fast forward that vision by harnessing the power of Big Data and algorithms today with our existing human-driven vehicles.

Once upon a time there was tremendous value in stand-alone computers. We now call those computers 'dumb terminals' because they're worthless if they can't play their part within a wider network (the internet).

I think transportation is heading in the same direction and it's flipping exciting! :D

We still have stand alone computers. A dumb terminal means something entirely different. I'd stick to analogies that you understand.

We still have stand alone computers. A dumb terminal means something entirely different. I'd stick to analogies that you understand.

It was just a layman's analogy. I'm sure the Cole Brothers would struggle to sell a PC that was unable to join a network or connect to the internet.

Edited by Puggie

I think lorries should be stopped from coming into built up areas, as long as they stay on the motorway then they should be fine

I've seen Eddie Stobart Lorries going along the Tinsley viaduct and these lorries are not based in Sheffield, surely we need to look at limiting how many miles lorries are allowed to travel each day?

Why aren't lorries electrically powred like smart cars?

I would like to see taxes/duties to be levied in a way that incentivises smaller delivery vehicles in cities and towns. It would be better if, for example, supermarket chains were to sort out their stock at an out of town depot, and do the final delivery to their small, local shops via small vans instead of large wagons.

The move towards smaller local shops instead of large superstores should involve an associated reduction in vehicle size.

Retailers have pretty efficient logistics services, they're not delivering stuff in a HGV just for kicks, it's because thats the amount of stuff they need and a HGV is the most cost effective way to get it where it needs to be.

If small vans were commercially viable they would be used.

Retailers have pretty efficient logistics services, they're not delivering stuff in a HGV just for kicks, it's because thats the amount of stuff they need and a HGV is the most cost effective way to get it where it needs to be.

If small vans were commercially viable they would be used.

Of course they use large vehicles because it's the most cost effective for them. But that doesn't mean that it is necessarily best for society as a whole, in terms of congestion and associated pollution.

That's why I suggested that the tax system could be used to incentivise them to change to smaller vehicles.

Before I respond, I should point out that I'm University educated

Your arguments are woeful in all truth, we have an environmental catastrophe on our hands

Why should a truck be based in Sheffield to go along the viaduct? well its to do with pollution miles, a car travelling from Sheffield to Tinsley will produce around 5 pollution miles, whereas Eddie Stobart is from near Scotland so his lorry will produce nearly 200 pollution miles before it gets to the viaduct

I think your university education may have let you down a little. Here is a map of Eddies depots. Nearest to us is Wakefield I think.

http://eddiestobart.com/about/network

I think lorries should be stopped from coming into built up areas, as long as they stay on the motorway then they should be fine

I've seen Eddie Stobart Lorries going along the Tinsley viaduct and these lorries are not based in Sheffield, surely we need to look at limiting how many miles lorries are allowed to travel each day?

Why aren't lorries electrically powred like smart cars?

How would you unload the trucks if they are not allowed off the motorway.

Wakefield is the closest Stobbart depot. Trucks are mileage limited, in that a driver is only allowed to drive for a certain ammount of hours per day, thus restricting the distance a lorry covers.

As for electric trucks. My hybrid car is supposed to be "cutting edge" technology. It weighs just over 2 tons and does 25 miles to a charge. At 44 tons a truck (at present) would require a battery bigger than the lorry it is powering.

Angel1.