Dog with grass allergy advice please

karma32128

I'm not aware of Piriton or other antihistamines being prescription meds. There are two types of active consituents readily available. You can walk into Boots and buy what you want. I get them on prescription for my hayfever but they are not POMs. You can buy non branded fairly cheap. Often the supermarkets will do a weeks tablets for 99p in the summer.

You an get loratidine and cetirizine (branded as clarytin and zyrtec) online from chemist direct, but many if the more specific modern anti-histamines are POMs. Often out of hayfever season you need to ask the pharmacist for them in boots. You can say you suffer from chronic rhinitis but if you say they are for a dog they won't sell them to you.

One thing to note in all this is that there might be a reason to treat with steroids instead of anti-histamines. For example, not all allergies are histamine mediated and steroids generally treat chronic and delayed reactions (eg delayed type hypersensitivity/typeIV) instead of the acute phase responses (first few minutes of the response known as type I hypersensitivity).

I think diet and environment are probably a good start to treat holistically. Certainly there is a link between microbiota and allergy but as a treatment it is not fully tested in humans never mind dogs.

Thanks Chez2, It's just so frustrating. You think you've got it cracked then it starts again. Now all i can do is give piriton which i will have to lie to a pharmacist to get.

I have just looked and they even want to speak to you when you order them on line too! Won't the vet prescribe and supply them (at a reasonable price)?

Biotech Pete - the two common ones you mention are readily available on the shelf at Boots all year round. They don't have many out so you have to look carefully. We don't all suffer hayfever at the same time or just in summer. I'm sensitive to spring flowering shrubs and pine cone pollen so I'm only hayfever free two or three months of the year!

Edited by Chez2
note to Biotech Pete

I use to get piriton on line from here

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/catalogsearch/result/?dir=desc&q=Piriton+

As for itching or broken skin or wounds best thing I found was exmarid ointment

Pets at home sell it (wear gloves unless you want to smell of bonfire)

I always take it on holiday in case they gets scuffs or sore paws .

It's smelly but good .

Thanks biotechpete, the first thing i tried was making sure it wasn't environmental, then food based, then loratidine and cetirizine. He has had steroids but unless i keep him on them all the time are not much use, an when he is on them for a long time they become ineffective. They are also really bad for his health.

Che2, it was the vet that told me to find ones with chlorphenamine maleate like piriton but with the amount i would need would be much cheaper to buy them myself. Looks like i will just have to lie(which the vet also told me). I'll have a read up on my symptoms before i do.

Sorry for leaving you out cyb1 it is worth a try but that might take a while to get into the system so still going to get chlorphenamine maleate to be going on with.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 14:36 ----------

Thanks rubydo1 i will have a look. I usually have Sudocrem which dose help when its sore.

Do you think it might help if you minimize the dog's exposure to grass? Perhaps confine him to a gravelled or paved area of your garden and exercise him well away from areas of grass. Sometimes dogs that are allergic to grass tend to get sore on the feet and undercarriage so if you could wash him down after each walk that might help. Some people use socks or boots on their dogs and even onesies. Dogs can absorb allergens via the skin so it is important to bath them to get rid of the pollen that is trapped in the fur. Use a very gentle, soapless shampoo e.g. Sebocalm, that hydrates the skin then it should do no harm to the dog.

Do you think it might help if you minimize the dog's exposure to grass? Perhaps confine him to a gravelled or paved area of your garden and exercise him well away from areas of grass. Sometimes dogs that are allergic to grass tend to get sore on the feet and undercarriage so if you could wash him down after each walk that might help. Some people use socks or boots on their dogs and even onesies. Dogs can absorb allergens via the skin so it is important to bath them to get rid of the pollen that is trapped in the fur. Use a very gentle, soapless shampoo e.g. Sebocalm, that hydrates the skin then it should do no harm to the dog.

Thank you, I konw you are giving good advice but i have done all of these thing's but not the sock's, his feet don't bother him as much the undercarrage.