Should anyone be allowed to parent?

56-year-old Mike Holpin has been dubbed a ‘serial dad’ and ‘Britain’s most feckless father’ for having 40 children by 20 different women, and he doesn’t plan on stopping there.

‘I feel rotten my kids were brought up by someone else. It was my job and I was too drunk to care.’ ‘I’m only 56,’ he says. ‘I want more kids. I’d never stop. In the bible god says go forth and multiply, I’m doing what god wants.’

Do we do enough to stop children being born to parents incapable of caring for them?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/30/serial-dad-mike-holpin-has-over-40-kids-and-plans-to-have-more-if-a-womans-ugly-just-do-it-doggy-style-5127674/

Do we do enough to stop children being born to parents incapable of caring for them?

Rather a pointless question, really.

We cannot know for certain that someone will be a feckless and incompetent parent until they have had children.

We (or social workers, or the police) can suspect in advance that they might not be capable - but in a free society, what do you propose? Mass sterilisation of anyone whom the authorities consider might not be a 'good' parent (whatever that is?).

And who is to make the decision?

No. All we can do is support the children of the feckless in whatever ways are deemed by child development experts to be in their best interests. (This may vary from child to child, depending on the situation) and better educate parents and would-be parents as to the realities of what they are embarking upon.

Edited by aliceBB

We should neuter everyone and make them apply for a licence.

:rolleyes:

Mike Holpin will do.

I'll even pay for the procedure myself, if it means less of his (potential future-) progeny brought up at my tax-paying expense.

:rolleyes:

I get your point, Chris (as ever). But long-gone are the Victorian days of "make 10 and expect 3 to survive", and long-gone is the average thought/awareness paid to personal responsibility and accountability that used to lead one to question the wisdom of unwanted pregnancies sufficiently as to keep one's todger in one's pants (or cellophan'd up)/keep one's legs crossed.

Not an easy circle to square, that one. But at least exceptions like this moron (and those he's sired) should be easy enough to make.

I wonder how much aggro he's had from the CSA. But I bet most of those 40 kids taken into care had a wonderful upbringing :(

Edited by L00b

56-year-old Mike Holpin has been dubbed a ‘serial dad’ and ‘Britain’s most feckless father’ for having 40 children by 20 different women, and he doesn’t plan on stopping there.

‘I feel rotten my kids were brought up by someone else. It was my job and I was too drunk to care.’ ‘I’m only 56,’ he says. ‘I want more kids. I’d never stop. In the bible god says go forth and multiply, I’m doing what god wants.’

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/30/serial-dad-mike-holpin-has-over-40-kids-and-plans-to-have-more-if-a-womans-ugly-just-do-it-doggy-style-5127674/

Now I'm not a woman or gay so probably not qualified to comment but he's not exactly hansom is he. How the heck did he manage to get any woman into bed is beyond me.

Do women not have any taste?

Now I'm not a woman or gay so probably not qualified to comment but he's not exactly hansom is he. How the heck did he manage to get any woman into bed is beyond me.

Do women not have any taste?

White lightning? Tenants? Mind you though..we've not seen the women..maybe they were grateful :)

Even if you interpret the original question as 'should we prevent babies being born to demonstrably feckless parents like Mike Holpin', the answer is simple.

Babies are not being born to Mike Holpin, since he is a man. They are being born to his female sexual partners. If those women are also demonstrably incapable of raising those infants themselves, the children will end up in care.

The only way you can 'prevent those children being born' is by forcibly aborting them. Is that what you're recommending? Do you mean 'How can we prevent men like Holpin fathering children'?.

Are you suggesting forcible vasectomies for adult men who father children with multiple partners, then neglect them?

And if the men refuse to be sterilised, who's going to hold them down whikle a doctor does it?

Think it through, think it through....

Edited by aliceBB