Cyclists part two.

I had problems with one going under my landrover a bit back as some may remember.

This morning I went for a gentle walk, dodging the rain, and came a cropper. There are a few, lets say, enthusiastic, no lets be accurate, a few nutters that tend to behave like they own all the tarmac, and pavement as well.

So there's a car waiting at the bridge, which is light controlled as it's only wide enough fo one car at a time. Mr cyclist cannot wait the scant seconds that the light will stay on red for, so it's nip round the car in front, up the kerb, slide on the greasy wet road and whip my legs out from under me.

I am not happy. I have a bruised backside with the shape of a pedal stamped into it. As well as ripped clothes and scuffed shoes. The cyclist, for reasons beyond understanding decided to spout a torrent of abuse for me not moving out of the way.

I used to think cyclists were fairly reasonable and law abiding in the whole. I can see why now why some people may have a different view.

I had problems with one going under my landrover a bit back as some may remember.

This morning I went for a gentle walk, dodging the rain, and came a cropper. There are a few, lets say, enthusiastic, no lets be accurate, a few nutters that tend to behave like they own all the tarmac, and pavement as well.

So there's a car waiting at the bridge, which is light controlled as it's only wide enough fo one car at a time. Mr cyclist cannot wait the scant seconds that the light will stay on red for, so it's nip round the car in front, up the kerb, slide on the greasy wet road and whip my legs out from under me.

I am not happy. I have a bruised backside with the shape of a pedal stamped into it. As well as ripped clothes and scuffed shoes. The cyclist, for reasons beyond understanding decided to spout a torrent of abuse for me not moving out of the way.

I used to think cyclists were fairly reasonable and law abiding in the whole. I can see why now why some people may have a different view.

It's OK Ob. you'll be able to claim on his insurance..

Obelix, the cyclists actions and abuse are all justified because cars do much worse on the roads every day.

X marks the troll I guess....

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 14:13 ----------

It's OK Ob. you'll be able to claim on his insurance..

I have his home address. I wont bother I'll just sue him into oblivion if needed. The car driver (who very kindly drove me to the local minor injuries unit) is more than happy to act as a witness.

There are idiots on every form of transport, I'm sorry you came across one on a bike.

There are idiots on every form of transport, I'm sorry you came across one on a bike.

Well quite. I can understand now at least partly though why some people do tend to have such a loathing for them.

My loathing at the moment is very specific and particular and long may it stay that way.

I believe the majority are law abiding, there does seem to be a certain type of cyclist that pose more of a risk than others, there are two of these I see regularly and I also work with one.

I'm talking about the ones that treat the public roads as though they are a practice track for their time trials - cutting blind corners, jumping lights, weaving and overtaking/undertaking erratically and without due care. The one I work with is currently competing on his Strava app with someone else who lives near him to do the same route the quickest. I hear daily about his reckless attempts to get the best time.

These are the minority who give the majority a bad name I believe.

I'm talking about the ones that treat the public roads as though they are a practice track for their time trials - cutting blind corners, jumping lights, weaving and overtaking/undertaking erratically and without due care. The one I work with is currently competing on his Strava app with someone else who lives near him to do the same route the quickest. I hear daily about his reckless attempts to get the best time.
The problem as I see it, is that if they should get accidentally knocked down as a result of such pursuits, and the relevant driver (i) cannot avoid the accident due to the cyclist's recklessness and (ii) has no dashcam (or the angle does not cover the relevant scene) to prove his innocence...who do you think will get it in the neck? :mad:

Reminds me of the pack of 4 Darwin Award contestants riding abreast (1 of them in & out of the oncoming lane FFS!) that "ran into" me the other weekend on the A634 between Blyth and Oldcotes.

You should stop wearing that "I hate cyclists" T-shirt Obelix :)

Sorry to hear you have had yet another bad experience. Unfortunately there is a lot to be learned both by cyclists and drivers about how to share the road in this country. Never an excuse for a pillock swiping pedestrians though.