Nigel Farage says

Must be true if it's in a paper then.

I wouldn't believe any newspaper when it comes to political parties. They're all biased to their own.

I thought the Telegraph was pro Tory,but it obviously is pro UKIP.......supporting the anti immigrant message that Farage has said about immigrants stopping football.

I think that is an over simplification of what he means, my families own experience of this issue in Sheffield was when my son moved into his home in Meersbrook, he wanted to familiarise himself with the area and so had a ride around on his bike. He was stopped in the middle of the road by a gang of asian youths who told him that he was in their territory and should leave, my lad is well over 6ft and able to take care of himself and told them exactly what they should do, but nonetheless it is an example of what happens on our streets and denying it only exacerbates the problem.

I think that is an over simplification of what he means, my families own experience of this issue in Sheffield was when my son moved into his home in Meersbrook, he wanted to familiarise himself with the area and so had a ride around on his bike. He was stopped in the middle of the road by a gang of asian youths who told him that he was in their territory and should leave, my lad is well over 6ft and able to take care of himself and told them exactly what they should do, but nonetheless it is an example of what happens on our streets and denying it only exacerbates the problem.

It's not an over simplification...........he said exactly that:

He said: “I want to live in a community where our kids play football in the streets of an evening and live in a society that is at ease with itself.

Nothing about people going from one area into another that is not 'theirs'

As far as a society being at ease with itself,it's Farage who is not at ease when he hears foreign voices on a train...........should he not be addressing his quote to himself and not trying to transfer his fear and stigmatising on to immigrants?

Edited by chalga

Yes he said and more,

“I want to live in a community where our kids play football in the streets of an evening and live in a society that is at ease with itself, and I sense over the last decade or more we are not at ease….

“If we went to every town up eastern England and spoke to people about how they felt, their town, their city had changed in the last 15 years, there is a deep level of discomfort, because if you have immigration at these sorts of levels integration doesn’t happen.” Mr Farage said he wanted net migration to “return to normality” to “a net 30,000 people a year” coming into this country.He said: “A net level of about 30,000 a year is roughly what we have from 50 years from 1950 almost to the turn of the century.“It was a level at which the country was comfortable, integration was possible and it did not crucially push down the wages of ordinary people."

This seems like a perfectly reasonable position to take.

As regards areas that are not 'theirs' I thought I had expressed myself clearly that these are not Nigel Farage's words but words of the asian gang my son had to contend with.

Edited by rainbow2411

Farage appears to be repeating what a lot of people are saying to him. Right or wrong - it is what people say. Regularly. They are of course shouted down by the right on brigade as racist or as bigots. But to most normal people they are normal people repeating what they experience in their real lives.

I'm not voting UKIP.

He said: “I want to live in a community where our kids play football in the streets of an evening ..........

how very nostalgic :)

there are very few streets where that's possible either because there is too much traffic or there are cars parked down one or both sides of the street so there isn't the space to play.

perhaps if we went back to a 1950/60's level of traffic and car ownership it would be possible but that would cause other problems.

anyway, i thought children these days were more interested in xbox's, psthingys and iwotsits these days than running around in the fresh air

I think the other parties could learn a lot from Farage. Listening to what people say to them and basing policy on that, instead of having people in ivory towers dictate policy and then trying to tell people what is best for them, and decrying anyone who disagrees as "bigots".

I think the other parties could learn a lot from Farage. Listening to what people say to them and basing policy on that, instead of having people in ivory towers dictate policy and then trying to tell people what is best for them, and decrying anyone who disagrees as "bigots".

he's not listening to me