A nice wine bar in Sheffield?

DerbyTup

I should have said "short term profit first" to be clear.

Obviously everywhere has to make money to be sustainable.

The bar we are talking about here needs to build up a base of clients that will keep coming back for years, not appeal to the weekend 6-8 pints of lager and move to the next place 2 months later crowd.

The short answer is NO. Compared to Manchester and Leeds and of course London, Sheffield is lacking.

However you can get passable wine / cheap in one of the chain pubs dotted around the city, it's hardly fine dining.

One possible venue is 'the florentine' up at fullwood, its a little bit more upmarket, a bit pricier and sells good wine. More of a place you can take your missus to and relax.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 14:24 ----------

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 14:25 ----------

It's a tricky one. Sheffield is a cultural backwater but I'm never quite sure whether its the lack of customers or bad management.

To be honest I'm currently leaning to the latter. I think your typical average Sheffield bar manager/owner thinks profit first and long term sustainability last, and so will always target the lowest common denominator (which others have alluded to). Either that or they haven't got a clue.

There are establishments which are doing well enough to suggest that Sheffield people would welcome a good wine/jazz bar, but it just needs someone who knows what they are doing to open one.

the trends for real ale / craft pubs. I can't see this stopping anytime soon as sheffield is one of the prime european destinations for ale.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 14:27 ----------

So, there isn't one then really is there?

There's not a single place in this, England's 4th largest city, where you can go and have a wide choice of wines by the glass in comfortable, luxurious, surroundings. Pick up a wine list and have lots of choice and it be predominantly a wine bar and not a chain restaurant?

Maybe there's no need for it? Would anyone on here appreciate something like this?

I was in Sarasota, Florida a while ago. There was a little wine bar there. You went in and purchased a kind of credit card which you charged up with dollars and then you had the choice of dozens of bottles of wine. You could choose to dispense yourself different sized measures, by inserting the card, anything from a mere taste to a full glass. There were tasting notes so you had some idea whether it was light and fruity or medium or full bodied, etc.

For anyone remotely interested in wine it was a great experience. You could try so many different wines and learn about them as well as just drink them. You could find new favourites - and - the food was secondary, but you could order tapas, or some light delicious nibbles to accompany the wine - but the wine was the main act.

Soft lighting, sultry music, comfy seating, upmarket clientele. It was very nice I have to admit.

I spent several years working in the south of England. It's not all good by any stretch and many places are far worse than here. But, the one thing that was noticeable was that it wasn't difficult to find a nice rustic pub that has got half a dozen red or white wines to choose from, of all different styles. It's much rarer up North for some reason. And rarer in Sheffield than in Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester it seems.

I wish there was somewhere like this to go in Sheffield. Years ago there was the Victoria wine bar on Ecclesall road, and Menzels. But one has gone, the other is a pale shadow of its former self.

I'd love some of this in Sheffield, but maybe I am expecting too much? I'm not a business person in this sense, but if I was, I'd be tempted to see if I could convert the lager and Prosecco crowd to something a bit more eclectic, in nice surroundings.

If you like wine and are in Leeds anytime, try 'living italy', they do fantastic sav blanc which they make themselves, it has a wine machine too much like your one in florida.

It's not cheap at £20+ per bottle.

Edited by ubermaus

So, there isn't one then really is there?

There's not a single place in this, England's 4th largest city, where you can go and have a wide choice of wines by the glass in comfortable, luxurious, surroundings. Pick up a wine list and have lots of choice and it be predominantly a wine bar and not a chain restaurant?

Maybe there's no need for it? Would anyone on here appreciate something like this?

I was in Sarasota, Florida a while ago. There was a little wine bar there. You went in and purchased a kind of credit card which you charged up with dollars and then you had the choice of dozens of bottles of wine. You could choose to dispense yourself different sized measures, by inserting the card, anything from a mere taste to a full glass. There were tasting notes so you had some idea whether it was light and fruity or medium or full bodied, etc.

For anyone remotely interested in wine it was a great experience. You could try so many different wines and learn about them as well as just drink them. You could find new favourites - and - the food was secondary, but you could order tapas, or some light delicious nibbles to accompany the wine - but the wine was the main act.

Soft lighting, sultry music, comfy seating, upmarket clientele. It was very nice I have to admit.

I spent several years working in the south of England. It's not all good by any stretch and many places are far worse than here. But, the one thing that was noticeable was that it wasn't difficult to find a nice rustic pub that has got half a dozen red or white wines to choose from, of all different styles. It's much rarer up North for some reason. And rarer in Sheffield than in Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester it seems.

I wish there was somewhere like this to go in Sheffield. Years ago there was the Victoria wine bar on Ecclesall road, and Menzels. But one has gone, the other is a pale shadow of its former self.

I'd love some of this in Sheffield, but maybe I am expecting too much? I'm not a business person in this sense, but if I was, I'd be tempted to see if I could convert the lager and Prosecco crowd to something a bit more eclectic, in nice surroundings.

You live in Sheffield, surely none of this is a surprise to you. Na get tha'sen dahn t't Rawson n polish off a few jars a mild.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that Sheffield doesn't have fancy wine bars. In a way maybe it shows that Sheffield just isn't as pretentious as Leeds or Manchester. It knows it's a simple Northern city and it knows its place!

You live in Sheffield, surely none of this is a surprise to you. Na get tha'sen dahn t't Rawson n polish off a few jars a mild.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that Sheffield doesn't have fancy wine bars. In a way maybe it shows that Sheffield just isn't as pretentious as Leeds or Manchester. It knows it's a simple Northern city and it knows its place!

Why is it pretentious to have a wine bar? It's just a wine bar, enjoyed by people who like to drink wine. It means no more, and no less, than that.

Sounds like a great idea - I guess something like this?

http://www.enomatic.it/new/default.asp?catIDPadre=37&catID=38

As a caveat , Non Solo Vino in Chesterfield (now closed) had one of these systems (or similar) ...guess it was not a success though?

Yes, exactly that mate. That's what I was referring to.

I know of Non Solo Vino in Chesterfield too and we tried that, not long after we came back from our Florida trip - I guess we must have been talking about the wine bar in Florida and some friends mentioned Non Solo Vino. I think they were one of the first people in the country to have these wine dispensers actually, because I remember chatting with the owner about it and it wasn't easy apparently to get approval due to our weights and measures laws that dictate what quantities to be dispensed.

I'm sorry to hear NSV has gone bust, but I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I only went twice I think. First time to try the wines, second time to eat food as well, but it was quite a poky little place and not much atmosphere. The wine bit was as you went in, in a small room with a few dispensers, I think it was standing room only as well in there, then the restaurant bit was off to the left. I don't remember much about the food but I think the overall ambience was a bit lacking. I think the concept could have worked well in better surroundings.

I'd love to see this idea take off in Sheffield but I really doubt that it would. To make it worthwhile you'd have to offer fine wines. Fine wines are expensive. People in Sheffield, generally, don't like expensive, they want cheap. Which is why we are where we are I suppose!:|

• 2 months later...

Hello from Trippets!

We are a newly opened independent bar providing you with Fizz, Gin, Dinner and Jazz...

Open Monday to Saturday 12-11pm

Food served 12-9.30pm

Our website is currently under construction so please visit us on facebook, twitter, instagram and trip advisor.

There is a place on Whittington Moor (Chesterfield) that calls itself a coffee and wine bar. I'm sorry I can't think of the name now.

I don't think it's been there that long.

I can't recommend it either as I haven't been, I just thought it looked quite nice and something different from the average pub.

Like you Derby, I would love there to be a nice wine bar here! :)